Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding P/S to my car, but have a problem with the drivers side frame rail. There is a crush nut installed in one of the holes (car was originally P/S), but the other hole has no crush nut and nothing behind the hole to hold one in place. What would you use to attach the crush nut?

Does someone maybe have a chassis manual that shows a detail of this area? Could I get a scan of the page?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
the crush nut is just that.,,you insert it into the hole and then thread a bolt into it ,as you tighten down the bolt the nut crushes(swells up inside the hole) holding it in place it requires a fair amount of force,,once it is held in place install bracket and tighten accordingly

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more specific, I can push the crush nut up into the frame rail and then I have to fish it out with my finger, the hole is much larger than the crush nut. The crush nut that is in the other hole looks like there is an insert welded into the frame rail that the crush nut is then inserted into. It looks like this insert is missing on the other hole and allows the crush nut to disappear into the frame rail.

·
Registered
935 Posts
All cars came with the hex insert in the frame so that power steering could be added if needed. Sounds like the bracket was ripped out of your frame rail and now there is no insert to hold the crush nut in place. You will need to have it welded in. Even the original Ford instructions for adding dealer installed power recommended tack welding the insert in ploace after crushing it down.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marty. From that drawing it looks like the crush nut just fits in a properly sized hole in the frame rail, but on my vert the hole is way too big. I'd guess that it was damaged or cut out except that the other crush nut on the vert and both on the coupe look slightly recessed (1/16".) I assume there is some sort of washer or bracket welded inside the frame rail that isn't shown in the drawing.

Damn I need a welder /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Can you get to the back side of the hole through the frame? If you can you might try to weld a nut on some metal stock or bar, you can place it inside the frame, align it with the hole and put your bracket and bolt in and start to tighten. If the bolt starts to spin the nut the metal stock will wedge against the side of the frame and hold it in place just like a wrench would....
Just a thought...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts