Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a fairly inexpensive paint spray gun. Do you recommend the gravity feed or siphon cup type, and what brand or store to buy from?

I want one to paint my front bumper with, and to use in the engine compartment later. I don't think I'm going to attempt to paint the entire car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The best advice I could give is go talk with the experts, either at the paint supply store or go talk with the painter at your local autobody repair shop. Those guys deal with painting everyday and know their stuff.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a Craftsman (Devilbiss) 6hp, 33 gallon, single stage compressor. Keep in mind, I'm not looking to become a professional painter. I thought about asking a local body shop owner, but I figure he only knows the professional guns that cost several hundred $$, and I'm not interested in spending that much. He might point out key features that I might need to look for in a cheaper gun, but I figure someone here can do that just as well.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You are right, you won't paint a whole car with that. I would go with one of those knock offs of a devilblis or binks. I used one in the past, did a fine job of putting on color coats, and when I upgraded, I used it for primer only. Parts on mine were replaceable with regular binks stuff...have heard others say theirs did not accept the parts. For your work I think the gravity feed cup would work better than the suction due to what you state you want to touch up/paint. Good luck and try this site.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

·
Registered
534 Posts
Go with the gravity feed. I have a suction type and you are going to use it for the same type of application that I am....however my friend (15 years body shop experience) said to dump the suction and get a gravity feed.

Try www.eastwoodcompany.com they give recomendations on there guns good/better/best and they have some nice guns for about 150

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
paint your front bumper? well, if I were you, and was in your shoes... I would go to Home Depot and get one of those 7 oz. siphon fed touch up guns and go with that, especially if you are gonna be squeezing around in an engine compartment. For what it's worth ($34) you can't get a better shooting gun. I use one all the time, and I have never ever had a problem or a complaint as to the quality of the work.

of course I shoot quite a few cars a week, and have a bit of practice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bought a gravity feed from Lowe's a few months ago. Works much better than Dad's old siphon feed gun. It did not put a bunch of paint dust in the air, just on the project (a boat hull) like HVLP. No wet sanding necessary afterwards. $99 for the big capacity one which I got and it included a regulator with guage right on the inlet line. They had a smaller touch-up one cheaper (maybe $70?) as well, no regulator. Make sure you get a water separator for the air line.

p.s. - I'm no pro at painting, but it made even my work look decent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts