Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and have not been able to find what I want yet. I need to choose a piston for my engine rebuild this winter. I need a piston that is .030 over, compression ratio of around 9.7 to low 10's w/60cc combustion chambers, and a price of $250 or less for the set. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
what year block?, if its a late block then flat tops will get you there if its an early 9.48 block and early heads then dished will put you around 9.2 and FT's will be around 10.7 I'd go a speed pro hyper flat top you can always open up the chambers a bit.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My engine builder used SRP flat top pistons in my 351w.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not sure why you're limited to $250 for pistons, but compare another $150 to the total cost of an engine build and it's not a big jump in cost. For $400 you can get a high quality set of forged pistons that will take just about anything you toss at them, top end lean out while dialing in the carb, high revs, N2O, what ever. Also keep in mind that the final bore size you need won't be certain until the shop starts to work on your block. I thought I'd use .030 for my engine also, but the cylinder taper didn't smooth out until the block was bored .040. To top things off, the compression height I needed was dramatically different then what Ford blueprints the block specs at. The deck on my '85 block was off by a lot and the shop had to mill it down to 9.47 to get it even and parallel to the crank. Between the bore, deck height and my long rods I had a hard time finding pistons to fit. My machinist tried to talk me into custom forgings at $600, but I found a set of Probe SRS dished pistons that were very close, all I needed was to get .012" milled off the top to have a 0 deck. Milling cast or hyper pistons isn't a good idea, but a good forging made for N2O or supercharger use (like the Probe dished are) can handle it with no issue.

The bottom line, the pistons were $370 plus $40 milling and I got both the compression and deck height I wanted in a strong piston I'll never have to worry about for $410. I can promise you if you stick to your $250 budget you'll be making a compromise somewhere in your selection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts