Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal: I need a power steering (pressure) hose for my '68 fastback with a '73 351W out of a Ranchero. I have tried the original '68 small block hose, but the valve end is bent in such a way that the hose must be routed above the motor mounts (by the headers) rather than below at the base of the shock tower. Additionally, it is very long and requires the use of a loop (I just want a straight shot from the pump to the valve). I have also tried the hose out of a '73 Ranchero, but the valve end comes nowhere close to fitting, and the hose is far too long. Lastly, I have tried the infamous 1970 hose, but it is too short to allow the hose to flex when the wheels are turned. I have heard that the big block hose from '68 might work, but the parts store I spoke to told me that it is a two piece hose and when assembled is close to 40" long..will this possibly work?

I really need a picture of how the hose looks at the valve so I can determine how it must mount. I am planning on having a hose shop modify the pump end of the hose, but I cannot find a hose that comes remotely close to fitting in the valve. If I knew so much as even the curvature of the valve end, I could probably have the hose shop just make me a completely new hose. It seems that however I install any of the aforementioned hoses into the valve, they conflict either with the pitman arm or frame of the car...please help!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you have the hose end fittings take it to a hose shop and they can fabricate one for you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem I am having is that I can't take the hose and fittings because I am uncertain as to the bends they need to create to allow for clearance of the frame and pitman arm. The car itself cannot be taken to a shop either as it currently lacks doors, windows, fenders, etc etc. I really need to know if anyone has used a different pressure hose or if anyone could provide pictures of their hoses routed through the base of the shock tower.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
I routed my stock pwr steering hoses below, they run through a loop I added to the tubular cross member. The hoses run alongside the oil pan then up in front of the shock tower/cross member to the pump. I jacked the car up, only needing a slight bending of the hard lines coming from the rack and routed the lines next to the oil pan. Then I manually turned the steering lock to lock and found the position that pulled the hoses to their max length from the loop I added near the crossmember. I temporarily tied down the hoses in that position, then worked out the routing and termination of the hoses at the pwr steering pump end.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you actually looped the stock hose around the crossmember (or am I reading this incorrectly)? Does this not cause ground interference?

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
By loop I mean I welded up a half circle piece of metal rod to some flat material at each end of the rod. The flat material is shaped to match the crossmember. Like a handle for a drawer. I ran the power steering hoses against the cross member, then clamped this "handle" to the crossmember. This "handle/loop" holds the power steering hoses (loosely) up against the crossmember. When the steering linkage moves from left to right, the hoses slide back and forth through that "handle/loop". You are correct, there has to be some way of holding the hoses up or they might hang up or touch the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts