Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in-law will be trading in her old 89 caddy, and buying a newer car. She is looking at a 97 Cadillac Eldorado, and a 99 2-wheel drive Durango. She wants to know some of the pro's & con's of owning either, that will help her decide on which way to go. She loves her caddy, but she also likes the Durango and now that she has found one of each for sale, she can't decide which one she would rather have, so it's come down to the vehicle itself and the good points & bad points. She drives mostly around town, but does take trips a few times a year and such.

If any of you have either one of these vehicles, please post your likes & dislikes about it. Things that may sway her one way or the other would be service/repair cost?, gas mileage? dependability? known problems or flaws in the vehicle or design?, safety features?, longitivity?, etc. you get the point!

And before you suggest another type vehicle, might as well not waste the bandwidth. Once she has her mind set on something, it's like drilling through ice with a tooth pick to get her to change her mind! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif and she pretty well has it set on one of these vehicles!

Thanks for any suggestion, thoughts , experiences you have about either of these vehicles!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The caddy engine has longevity problems, they tend to experience valvetrain failure or piston knock at 50-70,000 miles. It's cheaper to get a crate motor that repair. The caddy is ok as long as you know this is a likely issue to come up.....

The durango has many, many mechanical problems. Torque converter impeller vane failure is very common. Electrical system induces "shorts" causing electronic parts to fail.....I would definitely not recommed a durango.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
She will never be happy with the Durango, terrible ride compared to her Caddy and horrible gas mileage.Of the 2 bad choices the Caddy is the way to go

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would suggest the Caddy. The Durango is going to get terrible gas mileage and the ride is going to be rougher than she is use to with her caddy.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
For a couple of reason I would go with the caddy, the first of which is depending on your MIL age it may be difficult getting in and out even with the running boards etc, I see my father strugle getting in and out of such vechicles and although he is probally older than your MIL her time will come when simple things like that become problems.

Also Durango Millege sucks, and ride will be nothing like what she is used too. And last but not least if she dosn't buy durangoo one less damm SUV I have to follow behind.LOL

Mark

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,818 Posts
Caddy....not MY choice, but friends who've had Durangoes have had electrical probs, replaced engines (blown while freeway driving!) and more. Plus they DO ride rough and get horrible mileage. Also, for an SUV, they don't seem to have very practical space.....IMHO.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the opinions so far, I see a couple of things I hadn't thought of yet. But I'm curious... is what your all saying from hearsay? or first hand experience? Really would like to get some first hand experience as well. There has been a couple of vehicles in the past I would of never bought if I would have listened to all the hearsay, or reports I heard about these vehicles, which a couple actually turned out to be rather good vehicles for me, one being my Chevy Astro ext., believe it or not!

Honestly, I was thinking more toward the Durango for one reason, thinking service & maintenance might play a factor with her moderate income. I know firsthand, that caddys are not cheap when it comes to specific parts! Yes I owned one of these to a while back, and I thought parts for my 66 Tbirds was expensive!, try ordering a power antenna for a 76 coupe deville form the dealer! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

She is on a moderate income, so I was also thinking about this aspect once the warranty expires. Very unlikely she will be purchasing another vehicle with age and income playing a part.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Doug:
My wife has a 2000 Durango with the 4.7, nice vehicle, though Dodge has never been know to get good mileage, Oh by the way my SWMBO's twin sister has the 99 Durango with the 5.9, again nice vehicle, no mpg to speak of!!! Next Time I believe I have convinced SWMBO to buy the new Expidition!!!! Woo Hoo... all Blue Ovals!!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!!!!

·
1,217 Posts
whizco,
I can't speak to the caddy, but I have owned '99 and a '01 Durango. They both had the 360 motor, which obviously is a prety thirsty beast. From a reliability standpoint, the 360 has been around a long time, and I have not personally seen the failues that the others speak of. They do make good points on the ride, it can be pretty stiff and bouncy, and getting in for older folks can be challenging.

One thing to look out for from a cosmetic angle is that the strips at the base of the windows (2 on drivers side, 2 on pas.) had/have a rubber coated strip at the bottom. The strips coating can crack, and let water in under the rubber.

I have seen a couple of '99 Durangos that had the metal underneath rust/bubble up, and a few that actually started to rust the top edge of the door. Have a good look at these strips (all 4 of them) when looking at the Durango.

Hope this helps some.

Later,

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
We have a 98 Durango... Don't like that thing, AT ALL. Has the 318. UNGODLY cabin noise during acceleration, and Dodge brakes in my experience are absolute crap, the Durango DETSROYED a set of rotors with a set of pads that weren't far enough gone to cause that kinda damage (my brothers Ram had the same worthless brakes). Plus, come on Dodge, get rid of the damn rear drums, they're still in the 80s, the thing reminds me of a old Bronco more than my Explorer. The air conditioner is garbage, 2 years old and can't hold a charge for more than a month. Plus, if you get a 2 wheel drive SUV, you'd better love it so much that you'd never want sell it, because there is NO resale market on 4x2 SUVs.

Needless to say, I'd go Caddy.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I work on cars on my days off.....use to for $, now freebees for friends. $ guys at work bought Durangos in the past 3 years.....2 bought back by Chrysler...other one sold to get rid of it!.. Caddy, relative had 2- both same problem + 2 more I diagnosed.............indirectly personal experience.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,818 Posts
My experience is not personal, not first hand anyway. Guy I work with daily and closely had a Dakota with 4.9, liked it, but needed more power, bought a Dakota with 318, liked it, but needed more room, bought a Durango with 318, liked it, but had brake/electrical/engine blow-up problems, still a Dodge man, bought a full sized Ram. He probably will still stick with the Durango(for his wife to drive), but he admits its been nothing but trouble....."If this 2nd motor blows up, I'll probably get rid of it, then". How can you argue with that kind of logic/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts