Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it sounds easy enough to me but I think I may be missing something and considering I've never done it before I want to make sure I do it right. I am installing a new radiator and heater core and wanted to flush the system really well before getting them in. Please help! :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Radiator flush steps are on the can the flush comes in. However, I always take it about 10 steps beyond to get all of the junk out that I can. After following the mfgr's directions for most of the procedure, I pull the lower hose, upper hose, heater hoses, and thermostat. I then use a hose with full pressure to blow copious amounts of water through the block, radiator, and heater core. Do this both directions. Pack some rags around the water nozzle to make sure you are getting a good flow through everything. Reverse the flow several times for each component, then blow out with compressed air, if you have access to a compressor.

After blowing everything out every which way, reinstall hoses, new 180 degree thermostat, and new cap. When you refill with distilled water and antifreeze, it will have air trapped in the system. So, allow it to warm up to open the thermostat, then allow it to cool (never remove the cap on a hot engine). Refill, and go through several warm/cool cycles, refilling each time. Check the level in the radiator every day until you're sure it isn't "burping" any more air. If you are not running an overflow tank, it will run down about 1" from the cap (just above the radiator cores), and it does no good to fill it to the brim. It will just push it out when it warms up. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts