Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on installing a puller fan on my 1965 I-6.The core size is 17"Lx15"W. I would like to put an adjustable thermostat in the water jacket. My questions are: Who is a good mfr? What size fan should work? What CFM rating should I get? Is 1800-2000 cfm sufficient? Should I mount the thermo probe in the radiator petcock plug or in the threaded port on the thermostat housing? I have the stock alternator on this car so do I need to worry about amp draw since I plan to wire this to run with the key on or off. For anyone who has done this setup, I would like to here what works best for you. I realize that this topic has been covered numerous times and hope that this post doesn't annoy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I used the Hot Rod Air fan. It's a complete kit and answers all the questions you have. Simple bolt in, simple to wire, and moves a ton of air. They advertise in Mustangs and Fords.

Phone: 210 651-0070

Hot Rod Air, Inc.
9330 Corporate Drive #303
Selma, Tx. 78154

I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which type thermostat did you use and how did you mount and wire it?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree..the SPAL 16" is the best on the market and it's 3.7" deep. Watch the actions..there's usually one there. Otherwise you can pick them up off the net for around 125.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
OK, brace yourself for my nightmare story (hopefully I don't ramble too long here). I put a Proform 16" puller on my stock (and brand spanking new) 3 row radiator in my '66 with 289. The Proform pulled 2300 cfms ... not nearly enough. I would overheat if I had to idle to long. Before upgrading the radiator, I upgraded the alternator to a PowerMaster 100 amp after I got stranded twice with a dead battery. You see, you can't run a 10 amp fan with the headlights and radio at an idle with a 30 amp alternator.

So after upgrading the alternator, I upgraded the radiator in an attempt to keep the car cool. The $500 Griffin radiator helped, but not enough. The last straw came whent the Be-Cool thermostat switch I was using started shorting out and killing my battery when I parked the car. I tossed the whole system (keeping the Griffin Radiator and PowerMaster alternator) and went back to a mechanical flex fan.

You may be able to get by with a fan that doesn't pull as much since you've got an I6, and maybe don't live in a climate that routinely gets up over a 100. But my recommendation, is don't look at any fans that pull less than 2500 cfm's, and try to stay over 2700 cfm's. Any fan that will draw more than about 5 amps (read any fan that will pull enough air), make sure you have adequate output from your alternator for the extra draw.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The thermostat that came with the fan, which is the 3000 cfm model, wired to an ignition sourced hot, the A/C clutch wire and the fan itself. I mounted it on the fender wall. It has a knob to adjust the temperature that you want it to come on at and the probe either screws into the lower petcock of the radiator or a threaded manifold hole. My F150 has a plastic petcock so I had to use the manifold hole. It has worked like a charm. The guy at Rainbow will talk you through whatever questions you may have, he does tons of hot rod business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts