Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am new here, and am a veteran of the Clifford Performance forums. I have a '68 Mustang with a 208 horsepower 200 cubic inch 3.3L engine teamed to a C4 automatic... Anyway...

Last night, driving home, my console light (you know, the one that illuminates PRNDL21) went out. I checked the fuses, and they are fine...So the bulb burnt out. I pulled the cover off (removed 4 phillips screws to do it) and couldn't find where the bulb was. Does anybody know? PLEASE?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't have a console, so I don't know exactly what's involved in getting at it, but I do know where it's located. You need to get at the base of the shifter, and you'll see that it sits in a housing that extends down below the rest of the floor. The bulb is in the left side of that housing.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Last Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what would be the best course of action? Getting under the car?

I am fairly new to the Mustang fold. My family is all Mopar people, but I wanted to a Mustang... I am young and in college, usin a lot of my college money on my car! =)

I don't want to have to rip up my stupid carpet to get to this buklb... Will I have to?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached to the end of the shifter? For example, the shifter is topped off by a T handle, and after I remove the 4 phillips holding the plate down, I can see the end of the shifter. At the end of the shifter, something DID look like a light bulb but it was really cruddy looking... couldn't really tell. I guess I should just try to twist it out, eh?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
If you have the plate off you can see a black plastic housing that has the PRD21to the left a b;ack plastic ribbon that slides back and forth with the shifter. This panel should be held in by a couple of screws (forget how many, 2?) As it lifts up the shifter shaft you'll find a pair of wires leading to a metal crab-looking housing. The housing is connected to the shifter shaft by a white piece of plastic which just snaps into place. unsnap it from the crab housing. Slip the housing out of the shift panel. Lightly pulling nd twisting will remove the light bulb socket from the housing. Reverse to reinstall.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's where it is on the boy's 68 coupe without console.

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility
1968 coupe "Jedstang" for the soon to be 16 y/o boy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All this for a fricken' bulb

And if I do this, and mess it up, what will happen? Will I not be able to shift my transmission? Heh... Why the heck did they make it so difficult to change a BULB!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I get to ask myself... Do I want to hurt my car...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They made the bulb so difficult to change so those of you out in California would have something to do to your Mustangs while those of us in Michigan were busy digging ours out of the snow, repairing rust and leaky cowls, and washing the salt of our cars all winter long! :)

How dare you tell me it was 83 degrees in CA today . . . . . .

http://www2.dmci.net/users/dbowman/mustang1.jpg

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ power steering, brakes, and A/C
White interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, and an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids . . .

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It's easier and fster than the time it took for me to describe it. While you can do it with out taking the shifter handle off, it is considerably easier if you do. All it takes for that is a small allen wrench. Don't woory about whether the little lever ball inside the handle gets back in place OK on reassembly, it's basically self centering when you have the Button in place. The console cars have a different shifter shaft than a non- console car. On a non-console car the bullet holding the bulb is attached to the shifter shaft; on the console Shifter shaft there's a little tang of metal to the RHS(?) front(?) with a 1/4 inch hole that white plastic lever snaps into.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... I don't have a console. I probably should've said that, eh?

So, non-console... I just pop the plate off and it oughta be visible? I'm up to doing some work but I don't want to screw anything up. This IS my daily drivah!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry... You oughta come out here to Cali! There is a huge Mustang club here. we meet every Thursday night, upwards of 45 of us. we usually get a couple of Chevelles and Camaros that drive by and want to join our 15-mph cruise down a 45-mph street!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Yep, I read console light and got ALL wraped around the axle. Hell you got it easy. Pop those 4 screws out. Look down on the left hand side and that bullet looking jobby staring you in the face with a hole in the end is it. Just pull the bulb socket out and budda-boom budda-bing. Also, the thing might have just fallen off and laying down, down, down deep in the dark recesses of you shifter housing-- the collection point of all the spilled soda and half eaten french fries of the last 35 years.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Our thermometer says 72 degrees here in Irvine. Must be to close to the Pacific.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44747301&Sequence=1&res=high.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is a pud job.
i still have the original bulb on the thing.
have had the console out many times.
the only problem i have even had on console
work. is when the stupid carpet wants
to wrap around the screws.
later.

douglas rhine of nebraska
the man with the sad dog face

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hmmm, alright... I'm going to go take another look, hehe.

I'm in northern California... Irvine is usually cooler than up here.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Shiat... I JUST popped the plate off, and looked on the left hand side expecting to find something that looked like a bullet when there is nothing... Its completely smooth on the left side, and on the right side there's a little hole...

Now, attached to the "t" shifter at the very, very bottom of the shifter unit there is something that, if I spin it I could probably spin it loose... Is the bulb there? I mean, there is ABSOLUTELY no where else that it could go!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I think age must be taking it's toll on the memory.. could have sworn there was a square hole tang on the left hand side..... <<< Silence please, This poster will now quietly shrink into a dark hole to hide his shame >>>

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
There's a circular hole on the RIGHT side... hehe

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It's likely your car had a console at one time and someone took it out not realizing they needed the special shaft as well. I've never rigged a console shifter to properly highlight a standard selector bezel. You're on your own there, but you could find someone needing that shifter and swap for the other type which would have the tang on the left hand side with the square hole for holding the indicator light. The indicator light with leads are available from most suppliers. I responded to your later post where to find the power for the indicator lamp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts