Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if the repro sheetmetal is a better option than going w sheetmetal from a donor car. Specifically, I need a hood and LH/RH fenders. Dallas Mustang also has original tooling fenders but are a hefty 379.00. In this case, I'd gladly pay the cost if the original tooling was the best quality. If anyone locally has a source for donor parts, I'd be in your debt.

WaydeG
Frisco, Tx

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a pair of original front fenders from a '1965 convertible which I no longer need. One needs a lower 1/4 patch to repair rust damage, the other already has the patch welded in but the fender needs to fitted to the individual car and have the body work finished. With the repro stuff, it is about a 50/50 split between quality reproductions and CRAP (my experience anyway...I have not experience with the Dallas Mustang Fenders, but would think that you could find decent originals for less$ than that! Fenders are in McKinney. Let me know if interested.

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,085 Posts
Buy original if at all possible. Original tooling could mean many things. Made by original tooling company, tool made off prints of original tooling, original tool that had a life of XXXXX parts, retired, and now is cranked back up after being sold off. 65/66 fenders are prone to rust in the back lower corner, bend around the bumper bracket mounting area, and crack where the front hood meets it. Best check for original is the date code stamped between the fender mounting bolt holes. There are older repo fenders that were put on 20 years ago, that appear original after all the passage of time and weather.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts