Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of buying a 1966 Ford Mustang, V8, automatic, midnight blue. Paint and interior looks great....i dont know much about muscle cars and was wondering if theres anything else i should look for or know about before i buy it. He wants $3500 for it.....anyones advise would be a big help! thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
The biggest problem on these cars is rust. If you can, pull up a section of carpet and check the condition of the floorpans. Also, check the undercarriage of the car to determine if there is any rust in the frame rails. Pour water into the cowl oppening and see where the water drains. If water enters the passenger compartment floor area then the cowl is rusted and will have to go through extensive repair. Also check the floor area in the trunk as well.
It is not difficult to make these cars look nice on the surface. If there is rust in any of the areas I have listed, the repairs can be time consuming and expensive. If you have listed your location in your bio you should have no trouble in soliciting help from another VMF member to go with you to check on the car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would make sure to look into it mechanically make sure it runs well that theres no leaks or anything. I would take it to a professional mechanic and see if he can put it up on the racks so you can see underneath and check for leaks or anything like that. Also make sure it shifts well and brakes work well and everything.

John

·
6,854 Posts
Scott's dead on.

The LEAST expensive part of a vintage mustang is buying it. If you wanted to have a professional FIX all the stuff Scott mentions, you'd pay well into 5 figures.

Also check the frame rails for rust, especially the rear frame rails, especially the rear frame rails where the back shackel mounts. If you lift up the trunk liner (little piece of padded vinyl in the trunk) you should see plugs in the floor a few inches from the back of the trunk on either side. Pull them up and nose around underneath. They give access into the area between the trunk floor and the frame rails.

If you really want to buy a mustang, my advice would be to look at several. Better yet, join a local mustang club, learn about these cars, and THEN look at several.

Everytime I get under my car I find another reason I shouldn't have bought it. Heck, I'm having a ball fixing it up. It's become my personal crusade. But, with all honesty, I would have been MUCH better off finding a better car to begin with, even if I would have had to pay several times as much.

Good luck and if you find anything suspicious, let us know. One thing to check too is get the info off the door plate on the driver's side and the id number on the driver's side inner fender under the hood (they should match). Post them here and we can tell you a little about the car. Like did it originally have a V8, etc.

Phil

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
If it runs decent and there's no serious rust problems (Scottstang's advice is spot-on), then $3500 sounds like a pretty good deal. Keep in mind that body/rust problems can be very expensive to take care of, whereas many mechanical problems can be fixed relatively cheap. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
check for accadent damage too... ie, do the body panels still line up right. take a look under the car and see if you see anything that is crumpled (evidence of an accadent). also, if it is a convertable, check how the doors line up, because over time the body's tend to sag in the middle, which causes all kinds of problems.

- Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise GUYS much appreciated!!! heres some more info i forgot: it has a rebuilt V8 engine with 30 new miles on it, new transmission, carb, and gaskets. It just sounds to good to be true for $3500! I will take it to a mechanic, but i dont know if this guy will let me poor water all over his car. I'll bring a bottle just in case /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I live in Santa Barbara CA. The is guy sounds like hes rich, he mentioned that he owns 3 other cars(expensive cars) and just wants to get rid of it for space reasons...let me know what you think thanks. -Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phil is right on also about it being a V8 car to begin with if it was a inline six converted to a V8 then might not b eworth it i would move on myself to many problems if not done right like suspention to rearend to tranny. Rust like everybody has said also check for bondo on back left and right quarter panels can use a small magnet for that again i would recomend staying away from a 6 to V8 swap value of car goes way down quick look at how many lug nuts can tell yiou right away 4 lug rims means orig 6. Five lugs is what a V8 had then check vin Good luck Leroy

·
Registered
933 Posts
There are a number of good deals out there and this may be one. But, as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

If the cowl area is sound he should have no problem with you pouring water into it as the water will drain behind the front wheels as it was designed to do. If he has a problem with that then beware. The drains in the cowl have a tendency of becomming clogged with debris. Since the inside of the cowl was never coated, rust would form and holes would develop which would allow the water to drain onto the floorboard. The carpet would act as a sponge and over time the water would rust out the floorpans.

Let us know what you find.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just came back from looking at the car. Me and the owner were suppose to meet but he was late and i left(sat there for 30 minutes ) I got a good look underneath the car and it look pretty clean. There was a couple of rust spots but the majority of it looked good. he said the only thing that needs work are the seals around the windows, and that a body guy welded a steel plate under the front drivers side floor. and when i look real close the the paint job i could see paint overlap on the metal seal, so it must have been painted at a 1day paint and body( cheap paint job ) but it still looks good from a far...and the model is a 896 ...so im going to meet him later on tonight. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
RUST is your most likely enemy and it is not easy to evaluate. Mustang and Fords mag put out an excellent article on rust prone areas as well as estimate cost to fix in an OCT 2000 copy. if interested PM me with your e-mail address and i will scan and send it to you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok first things first, i just got done with the test drive. The everything under the hood looked new, he said i would have to keep my MPH under 80 untill the motor was broken in. When he started it up it took like 3-4 seconds and then it roared up (is that normal, hearing the starter turnover for 3-4 seconds then firing up?) second when i was driving, the steering had some play in it (is that normal?) and it has power steering. He said all i would need to do is buy a suspension kit and that would fix the steering problem. It also had a small steering wheel, witch seemed strange at first, but wow was it fast, iv never felt power like that before! so are these big problems ?(the steering and startup stuff) o and what kind of gas mileage should i expect?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'd be woried about the rusty floor pans. if there is rust there, there is rust elsewhere. for a suspention and steering kit (a-arms, bushngs, tie rod ends, and idler arm, etc) is about $450. this car sounds like something that is going to need a bit of work, and some money (things add up REALLY fast)

if you dont want something your going to be tinkering with, i would say pass it up. there are better cars avalable, but that is just my (not so expert, i might add) oppinion.

- jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts