Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i started work on my 65 ranchero the other day. My motor is stuck, its a 302. SO i pulled it out and pulled one head. It has two cracked pistons. SO what would be the best and cheapest fix? I want an oversized cam so that will be knew. Looking to spend $500 buy a complete motor, or assemble my own, If i assemble my own what parts should i replace? WHat will give me some real good power, i have a 4 barrel 650 holley for it if that helps

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Need more info but sounds like you need a complete rebuild. Strip the motor down to a bare block and take it to a machine shop for a .030 over bore (or what they recommend) and buy a deluxe rebuild kit from PAW. Not sure of the cost but I'm sure it you're in for over $500. As far as "real good power", not sure what that means but better flowing heads is a good place to start. Intake, carb and heads will help. Of course, a cam that is matched to your heads will help a lot.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Budget and performance level desired please?

If the bores are OK, I'd just pop a couple of rebuilder pistons with new rings in there after flex-honing the bores and button it up. Cost with you doing the work and buying the parts and a couple of tools to do it would likely be under 200.00.

That of course assumes that whatever caused it to get stuck is not terminal...

Get back to us...

PS....plan to spend way more than 500.00 if you want some performance (even basically stock) and reliability out of this engine. The above is just a fix to get it back on the road.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well to be honest i just want a good running, dependable engine.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In that case, you'll need to determine the cause of the engine not turning....or, you can buy a running engine out of another vehicle, as you mentioned, and put it in...

If you aren't experienced with engine building but are mechanically inclined, installing another engine might be the most cost and time-effective choice.

The details of what to look for and how to address it are beyond the scope of a forum post...you really would need a service manual and the requisite engine building skills to do it right so as to have the dependibility you desire.

BTW, I have a friend who has a '65 Ranchero with a 289 and AOD in it (it's a driving restoration like many VMF cars are) and he thoroughly enjoys it...hope you do the same!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts