Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How repairable are seats in a cast iron head? One of my exhaust valve seats is pounded far into the head.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
A good machine shop should be able to replace it with a hardened seat. Good luck!

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
664 Posts
As mentioed earlier they can be easily repaired by a qualified machine shop. In my opinion, since you have them off you may want to go ahead and have all of the exhaust seats replaced to avoid future seat failures. Also, be sure to have your machinist check the valve guides closely and replace any that are worn. I do not recommend knurling the guides to tighten them up because you may end up with an oil consumption problem shortly after.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on having all the seats done. This particular exhaust seat hardly has any meat left on it, and this one is the only one that has a severe valve guide wear. The guide is worn almost to the guide boss (about a hairs thickness away, if even that).
Yea, I wouldn't recommend knurling either. That seems like something that should not be practiced at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts