Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing this 1968 mustang, but I noticed something weird underneath, just next to the rear wheels.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? It seems like someone spent 2 minutes welding a piece of metal to the car's frame to keep it stable.

Total cost of the car will be $20,000. 1968 coupe, V8 engine (old, can be restored).

Thanks

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,904 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing this 1968 mustang, but I noticed something weird underneath, just next to the rear wheels.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? It seems like someone spent 2 minutes welding a piece of metal to the car's frame to keep it stable.

Total cost of the car will be $20,000. 1968 coupe, V8 engine (old, can be restored).

Thanks

View attachment 813240
Just an old set of "traction bars" it keeps the axle from wrapping under acceleration. 20k? Man it's good to be in the states....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an old set of "traction bars" it keeps the axle from wrapping under acceleration. 20k? Man it's good to be in the states....
Got it. Thanks!

When a car requires traction bars, does that mean the car is not worth it? Also, do you mean that 20k is a lot for this?

·
4,814 Posts
Got it. Thanks!

When a car requires traction bars, does that mean the car is not worth it? Also, do you mean that 20k is a lot for this?
Nothing wrong with the car except someone was accelerating hard and added the bars to keep the axel from rotating which helps lift the front of the car for a race "launch", or to keep the wheel hop down. You can take them off.

If the car is not all rusted out and in fairly good condition, 20k would be a good price.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,904 Posts
Got it. Thanks!

Just looking at the pic and by your description "old can be restored " 20k would be high here in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Banks

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,146 Posts
Traction bars may also indicate that someone raced the car, or at least ran it hard. Depending on what your plans are for the car, it could mean the engine, transmission, saw some abuse. As mentioned, any time we see substandard work, it raise the question as to how the rest of the car was maintained.

Just saw the photos. Missing export braces confirm the suspicion of substandard work. If the car is rust free and solid, I would consider a lower price, knowing there is probably a lot of poor work to fix. The cosmetic "upgrades" are not appealing at all to me, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,904 Posts
Not a bad looking car at all. Take a close look at the floor pans from underneath, and look at the trunk where it drops down to the quarter panel. I take back my other comment, 20k isn't to far off, that paint alone would be 10k.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I wouldn't keep a set of traction cars from a possible sale. As other's mentioned, if the body is solid (even with the Eleanor additions), it's a decent deal.

·
4,814 Posts
Looks to have an "Elenor" kit added, the front and rear fiberglass parts. Was popular for a while, but not so much now. And yea, the original Elenor was a fastback.

·
4,814 Posts
I wouldn't keep a set of traction cars from a possible sale. As other's mentioned, if the body is solid (even with the Eleanor additions), it's a decent deal.
I had these with the J hook in yellow. Not that these are what are on this car, but I'd keep a set of Lakewoods

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
In the 1st photo of post #10 it appears that a chunk of bondo has fallen off. It sure looks to me like that car is somebody's cheap imitation of an Eleanor. I'd run, not walk, away from that abomination. But from your avatar it appears you are not in the USA so maybe you don't have access to a herd of Mustangs like we have.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts