Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I find it easier to start off with original car if your going ground up “modifications” can be annoying later on my car had air shocks and I had to weld way to many cracks I’ll be happy when I go three link

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
20k is not any kind of stellar deal for a car like this that has an ‘old motor’ missing panels and interior is a mess…cheap Eleanor chop job. Just having shiny nice looking paint by no means makes it a good Mustang.

I have a 68 C code that this was mostly solid. Decent paint Came with freshly rebuilt 302 motor and C4. Catch was I had to install them. 10k for everything…2 years ago.

If simply looking for a coupe with running engine and driveline to chop up and turn into a fastback conversion…you can do it much cheaper and better. You are going to have to paint the completed FB after the metal work anyhow…so who cares about paint.

Who is going to do the metal work for the coupe to FB conversion? Hope you did your homework there. It’s a massive undertaking and requires an expert welder who knows Mustangs inside and out.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Some people might pay pay 20k for that thing....but it sure wouldn't be me...that might be a 12k car...at most, and only that much because the paint doesn't look bad. For a coupe to be worth 20k to me the undercarriage needs to be in better shape than those pictures imply. Hard to really say without pictures with more detail, but yeah, 12k is all I would pay for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
In the 1st photo of post #10 it appears that a chunk of bondo has fallen off. It sure looks to me like that car is somebody's cheap imitation of an Eleanor. I'd run, not walk, away from that abomination. But from your avatar it appears you are not in the USA so maybe you don't have access to a herd of Mustangs like we have.
It's in Germany. I do have 1967 mustang coupe (just arrived 2 days ago), also V8 (new engine, radiator whole shibang). Got it for 15k, shipping included. Here's the video: VID-20211009-WA0002

Not sure if this car is worth it though. Looking to get something, either coupe or fastback as a project car. Would you be able to point me to the right direction as to where you guys mostly shop for mustangs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does it run? I bought a similar car, the body kit wasn’t completely installed, needed work and paint but this car was $9500, and that was Feb 2021. 20K for that seems step IMO
Yes, it runs & drives, as I was told. Owner will send me the video tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
20k is not any kind of stellar deal for a car like this that has an ‘old motor’ missing panels and interior is a mess…cheap Eleanor chop job. Just having shiny nice looking paint by no means makes it a good Mustang.

I have a 68 C code that this was mostly solid. Decent paint Came with freshly rebuilt 302 motor and C4. Catch was I had to install them. 10k for everything…2 years ago.

If simply looking for a coupe with running engine and driveline to chop up and turn into a fastback conversion…you can do it much cheaper and better. You are going to have to paint the completed FB after the metal work anyhow…so who cares about paint.

Who is going to do the metal work for the coupe to FB conversion? Hope you did your homework there. It’s a massive undertaking and requires an expert welder who knows Mustangs inside and out.
I'm in Georgia, my 1967 mustang coupe arrived just few days ago. I'm the only person in the country that owns classic mustang. Maybe 1 more other person. So, we don't have Mustang experts here like you guys do in USA. But, people are know are really good at their craft, it'll just be more expensive than fixing a regular prius or X5, but still cheaper compared to USA.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Any more pics of the car? Judging by the shoddy traction bars, I have a hard time believing this is a $20k car.
You may not like them, but they are commonly available, cheap, and effective. Not homemade. They prevent potential damage caused by wheel hop. If you've ever had wheel hop, you understand.

I don't know if this is a good car or not, but the traction bars are not a dealbreaker by any means.

·
Registered
1967 302 Coupe
1 Posts
Have you had a look at the car in person?
Seen it on ebay a few times now here in germany.
Its actually currently listed for 13.500€, but nobody seems to want it - and that despite cheap mustangs are really rare and wanted.
The paintjob doesnt look good, plenty of orange peel and runs.
Imho it needs a complete new paintjob. The owner even wrote that in the listing when he first put it online.

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
363 Posts
You may not like them, but they are commonly available, cheap, and effective. Not homemade. They prevent potential damage caused by wheel hop. If you've ever had wheel hop, you understand.

I don't know if this is a good car or not, but the traction bars are not a dealbreaker by any means.
I'm not knocking traction bars at all; I have a set of Lakewoods on my '67. I was just saying that if this person was so cheap that they couldn't purchase a $200 set of traction bars, and opted to do to piss poor job of fabricating some himself, then more than likely he took many other shortcuts for this build as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm not knocking traction bars at all; I have a set of Lakewoods on my '67. I was just saying that if this person was so cheap that they couldn't purchase a $200 set of traction bars, and opted to do to piss poor job of fabricating some himself, then more than likely he took many other shortcuts for this build as well.
The bars in the original photo are Lakewoods. Not homemade.

·
Registered
1971 302 C4 auto convertible, Grabber Blue/white/white
344 Posts
Is it me or does it look like the rear end is narrowed and the rear wheels are way in the rear fenders?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing this 1968 mustang, but I noticed something weird underneath, just next to the rear wheels.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? It seems like someone spent 2 minutes welding a piece of metal to the car's frame to keep it stable.

Total cost of the car will be $20,000. 1968 coupe, V8 engine (old, can be restored).

Thanks

View attachment 813240
Hard pass on this one. Just too much wrong with it, it's a coupe. Hard pass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just my humble opinion...unless you have a sentimental attachment to this car. Move on and buy a Fastback if that is what you want. I would assume that the conversion is going to cost you way too much in the long run. Good bodywork and paint are really expensive and a body mod like that is going to set you back big time, (have you price that out yet?). There are Fastbacks out there. Paint does not matter if you are going to convert it, but the paint job looks inexpensive, I notice that the fender edge in the engine compartment did not get painted when the car was done, so it probably did not get the door jambs and underside of trunk and hood done either. Also, the interior is rough indicating that the car has had a rough life.

But, if you think this car will make you happy go for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing this 1968 mustang, but I noticed something weird underneath, just next to the rear wheels.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? It seems like someone spent 2 minutes welding a piece of metal to the car's frame to keep it stable.

Total cost of the car will be $20,000. 1968 coupe, V8 engine (old, can be restored).

Thanks

View attachment 813240
They are traction bars. They are normally bolted to the springs.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts