Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my shop is finally nearing the end of the construction phase. Next up is finish plumbing and electrical. The main bays of the shop are wired for a total of 9 8-foot long LED fixtures, as can be seen here:

So what I would like to know is, does anyone have any recommendations for good fixtures? Maybe something better than the usual Lowes/Home Depot crap? It's a 13 ft ceiling, so I have no interest in changing bulbs, let along fixtures. Like to just do this once and be happy with it.

All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance, and here's some shots of what it looks like as of last week for you garage fans out there:

MrFreeze

Attachments

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Can't help with your original question, I got mine from a local electrician, but you might want to add one to the wall adjacent to the lift. It can get pretty dark under the car when it's in the air.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I looked at replacing my shop lights earlier this year. The big boxes that cater to contractors have commercial grade led fixtures. Plus they can order. The Metalux and Lithonia looked pretty good for a home shop/light industrial. I ended up not changing over. I’ve got 4 4’ and a couple of T12 8’ industrial low temp fast starts. Would have been 400-500 for the lot. You’re already going strips but were I doing a new design for high bay I’d go with warehouse style led floods. At the day gig we changed the halide work lights in the room (100+) and stage house to modern led fixtures. Huge difference. I’m in a garage so my ceilings are too low but if I had 12-14‘ I’d do it now. Search warehouse lighting and you can get a better idea of what’s out there.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
I'm not a lighting professional, but you don't have near enough lighting nor outlets for a really functional garage. I'd maybe look up a lighting company in your area that would do a free consult and design if you buy from them. Lighting makes all the difference in the functionality of a shop. You also need to be aware of color temperature, lumens per square foot and operating temperature range. No one at Home Depot or Lowe's is going to have the experience for this. I'd spend a little more to be able to see what I'm doing without pasting in a bunch of fixtures after the fact.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I'm not a lighting professional, but you don't have near enough lighting nor outlets for a really functional garage. I'd maybe look up a lighting company in your area that would do a free consult and design if you buy from them. Lighting makes all the difference in the functionality of a shop. You also need to be aware of color temperature, lumens per square foot and operating temperature range. No one at Home Depot or Lowe's is going to have the experience for this. I'd spend a little more to be able to see what I'm doing without pasting in a bunch of fixtures after the fact.
There's an excellent thread about lighting on The Garage Journal, which includes many sample layouts, and a lighting calculator. They go into how many Lumens are required, and lighting placement for even illumination patterns. I agree, not nearly enough lights, and poorly laid out. They even go into pricing and online sellers, IIRC 4' LED fixtures is actually the most cost effective. IMO you also want to stay in the 4k color range, not the higher "white light" range many people go for with LED's.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You'll probably want 100 foot-candles so multiply square footage by 100 and that's how many lumens to consider.

Then, determine how many lights you'll need based on their output. Evenly space the lights out so each light is illuminating the same square footage. Some of your lights are close to the wall. I don't know if there's a work bench directly underneath these that you want the direct overhead light, but if there's not, half of your light is being directed into the wall and wasted.

I also agree, there's nothing wrong with the lights from the big box stores.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
It was a while ago when I had bay lighting goals. I emailed Warehouse lighting sending my layout 7-8 years ago. At the time they recommended T5 fixures with a 5 year warranty. Well worth it. Try contacting some online lighting companies with your needs. It cost me nothing for the services and I installed the lighting myself.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Not a great picture, but my light banks run front to back against the side walls and then along the front wall over my workbench and at the garage door too. Those are great when working at the back of the car.

Tons of light but it’s still dark under my lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
That points out what I, and most people forget with light fixture placement; think about the LOS obstructions when working on a car. I spaced my lights evenly across the room, the problem is that puts the outside fixture directly above the car, putting the side in shadow. The outside row usually has to be like 2' from the wall, not 4'. One other reason is the fact that the inside rows get additional light from adjacent rows, the outermost row is lacking those extra Lumens. It's also often beneficial to have fixtures perpendicular to the rows at the end walls and every 10' or so to fill in the natural dim spots caused by the linear bulb's light pattern.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Not a great picture, but my light banks run front to back against the side walls and then along the front wall over my workbench and at the garage door too. Those are great when working at the back of the car.

Tons of light but it’s still dark under my lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen people put LED strips on the ramps to light under your lift , that may be a solution ?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have 15 foot ceilings. I bought Lithonia T5 high output 4 lights per unit from Home Depot . I only have 2 installed so far . Very happy with the lights .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts