Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to make my console look a lot better in my 68. I have a manual T-5 in the car and im having a hard time trying to get a shifter boot to look good. In the picture below is exactly what id love to have. I already have a hurst arm and a black hurst pistol grip. I also bought a hurst boot, but seems to be to big. Id like to see what you guys are using and having success with?

Another question I have is that im not 100% sure my cosole was originaly ment for a manual. As seen in the pictures below, I dont have the cut out on the left side of the shifter boot on the black part of the console. And is seems that im going to have to do some unfortunite cutting on mine to make it work.

Also, it looks like this guy has some sort of tray or some type of retainer around the console hole and just outside of the boot? Where do you get one of those?

I dont know why..maybe im looking in all the wronge places...but it seems to be a real hastle to find console pieces for a 68..all other years seems to have the exact parts im looking for..who knows, if i was looking for another year I could probably find tons of 68 stuff

Any pictures of what you guys are working with would be great!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I ended up making a boot myself. I don't have a pic at the moment as I'm at work. But I used black vinyl and stitched it up like one from a new car. Attached it to a base made out of a piece of hard molded plastic (doesn't matter what you use, i.e. wood, steel, etc) and bolted that to the floor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am using the stock factory shifter boot with mine and it looks nice with my T5. Here is a picture:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3647/3741/21616870128_large.jpg

Post a picture of your console so we can see what you are working with. Sounds like maybe it's for an automatic, which are quite different. Reproduction 68 consoles just started being made and are damn expensive. Not sure they are offering seperate pieces yet, but just check sites like Mustangs Unlimited or CJ Pony Parts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep looking at yours I Know I dont have the right console. The guy befor me must of converted it to a manual and didn't get to the console. Yours looks really nice, I wish mine looked like that! I know I thought about that today, I need to post a picture, although id be kinda embarrased how it looks..lol But thanks for the pictures of yours. I wonder why they are just now starting to repro 68 consoles?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks like they haven't repro'd the 68 console, just the 67, which is different. Here is the manual shifter console plate for the 67:
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/CP12-C.jpg

The console plate for the 68 is a longer piece and of course has the black camera case finish and not the brushed aluminum from 67. You might have luck looking on eBay or Craigslist for pieces you need, but be prepared to pay. The piece in the picture sells for $149 by itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea ive been looking like crazy for them. Why do you guys think the manufacturers are over looking the 68's? I mean they are a little different from other years, but nothing rediculous of extremely different... O well I just may keep polishing my turd and see how well I can get mine to work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts