Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to use an aftermarket wiring harness in my '66, but I've still got all of the old underdash harness, and taillight harness. The harnesses have basically all of the connections intact, and just need some wires replaced, and to be re-taped and gone over real well. What I'm wondering is if they would be worth re-doing in my spare time while my cash supply is low, and there isn't much to do on the 'stang. I know I could repair them without any problems, I'm just not sure how much I could get for the complete, refurbished harnesses. Do you guys/gals think it would be worth my time to re-do them, or will they not fetch enough cash to make it worthwhile? Thanks in advance.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still see NOS harnesses in the $200 to $300 range, so you will probably get something for it. I'm not sure what the demand is for harnesses, but I would guess it's pretty decent - haven't we all had a run in or two (or twenty) with our Mustangs' wiring?

You'll need to be upfront w/ any buyers on the fact that it's been refurbished and you should be able (and willing) to tell them exactly what needed replaced. Also, make sure the connectors are like the OEM style, otherwise the buyer will have a kniption trying to wire up his car's accessories, guages, etc. I would try to replace entire wires w/out splices, and attempt to use the right colour wire(s). While this probably won't be possible, make sure, then, that any miscoloured wires are numbered properly.

Doug

'66 signal flare red coupe with styled steel wheels
289 4bbl. w/ power steering, brakes, and A/C
White interior with a bench seat, deluxe seatbelt option, and an extra seatbelt in the back for my three kids . . .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've basically hit on all of the things I was thinking. I think all of the connectors are there, so it's basically just a matter of stripping out the damaged wires and replacing them. I planned on doing all of the splices with solder and heatshrink, so they should all be very clean. Although it probably won't be possible to keep all of them exactly the original color (I don't plan on buying wires with specifically colored stripes just for this purpose), I'll label all of the spliced in pieces for ease of troubleshooting. Do you think I could get $100 for it with no problem? I don't think it'd be worth doing for any less. Considering the fact that new harnesses are $400, this seems reasonable to me, but I'd like another opinion. Thanks for all of your help.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page

1 - 3 of 3 Posts