Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I stumbled onto this board yesterday and I hope that someone can give me some help on this. I originally posted this in Stangnet.com's Classic Mustang forums, so I apologize if it is a repeat for some of you.

I have been having a hard time finding a speedo cable to fit my '69. Here are the specifics/what has happened so far:

Car was originally a 351W-2V w/ FMX
Car is now 351C-4V with a '79 (I think) model C6

I ordered a speedo cable from NPD a few months back that was supposedly for a 69 with a 428+C6 (my reasoning was that this should fit my C6 and be the proper length). However, the trans end of the cable is not correct for my C6 (it is a narrow screw-on fitting, whereas my C6 needs a push-in type fitting). The dash end is a push-on type.

Next, I went to the local parts house and after looking at a few alternatives decided on '72 Torino 429 cable. This one was WAY too long, and ended up getting melted on my headers.

Then, I ordered a 71 Mustang 429-C6 cable. This one was the right length, had the right trans end fitting, but the speedo end of the cable was the type that screws on to the speedo housing. It seems that my speedo housing requires a push-on cable, as there are no threads.

I also ordered a cable for a 69 351W-2V car, which mine is, but it also had the threaded speedo end connector.

So--am I missing some sort of fitting from my speedometer? Has anyone run into anything like this before? Also, assuming I do have a true push-on connector on my speedometer, is there some type of retainer that will keep the push-on connector from sliding off?

G

·
0 Posts
I am having the same problem. '70 Sportsroof originally 302/C4 now 460/C6. I just received from 'Macs' a cable for a '70 Z code 429 but it doesn't have the correct transmission end. I am still trying to figure out what to try next before butchering two cables.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I would imagine you'd need a cable for a 70 351-4V C6 stang.....I'm spitballing here, but I don't ever remember hearing of a C6 behind a 69 351W in a mustang.

I believe the threaded tranny end is usually for a drag pack reducer gear, or the speed switch for california emissions.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've solved similar situations by going down to the local NAPA and breaking out the speedo cable catalog. The catalog had pictures of each end of the cable along with available lengths. I don't see any reason why it won't work in your situation. Worse case scenario you could get the phone number for the cable manufacturer from the catalog and have them make one up special for you, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Stangnet still exists?

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You can have a cable made for you at a local speedo shop. This way it is guaranteed to be correct in both connections and length. It may cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

Heck, you can even have them calibrate your speedo for you if the are setup to do that. It's nice to know that when the speedo says 65 you are really doing 65...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts