Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 68 289 fastback. I have installed TCP UCA/LCA and Strut Rods. I have Edelbrock IAS shocks. I tried the car with stock coils with one full coil cut. OOOPS, car is at least 2" too low! I guess the TCP UCA already lowered the front, then with a full coil cut, I gotta get it back up. I want something stock height, and firmer than stock (Big Block Springs???), but 600 lbs MAX, preferably 575lbs +/-. Does anyone know the lbs ratings for stock coils Big and Small and/or have a recommendation???? ::

p.s. NO I can't afford the $1100-1200 to add coil overs

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I can't tell you specific numbers but I got 600lb springs for mine. The stock ones I could compress a very small amount by pushing them down and the new 600's wouldn't budge at all. And mines a big block and they were the original springs. So, in short, I think the stock springs are lighter than 600 lbs. This should help a small amount! ::

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Consider a stock replacement. You didn't mention what size anti-sway bar you have but there is considerable argument in favout of relatively soft springs combined with performance shocks and large bars (like 1-1/4" on the fornt).

(I assume you lowered the UCA per TCP's suggestion so you've dropped about 1/2" already, even with stock springs.)

For posterity: Becasue the spring pearch connects to the control approximately half way between the pivot shaft and the ball joint, removing 1 inch from a spring will result in approximatelt 2 inches lowering at the ball joint.

- Gord

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have owned and modified several early Mustangs. But none seem to have as good a balance between ride (not too harse) and handling as a stock '70 Mach 1 with a 351. My suggestion would be to acquire stock '70 Mach springs and cut them to your desired ride hieght. BTW '70 Machs have a 15/16 front sway bar stock and a 1/2 rear bar.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
none seem to have as good a balance between ride (not too harse) and handling as a stock '70 Mach 1 with a 351. My suggestion would be to acquire stock '70 Mach springs and cut them to your desired ride hieght.
As soon as you shorten a spring by cutting it you change it's spring rate... it get's stiffer.

- Gord

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Consider a stock replacement. You didn't mention what size anti-sway bar you have but there is considerable argument in favour of relatively soft springs combined with performance shocks and large bars (like 1-1/4" on the fornt).
I agree. Lots of highly considered sports cars have softer springs and firmer shocks. If you drove on perfectly flat roads all of the time, the stiffer springs would be fine. In the real world, you can do better with softer springs, firmer premium shocks, and a decent size sway bar.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I forgot to include the sway bar, it is 1 1/8". Also the UCA's were installed as per TCP instuctions, so I'm down 1/2" to start. I agree with the assesments made about the softer springs, as they allow the suspension to do what it is supposed to. That is why I was thinking <600 lbs., but perhaps a bit more than stock. Anyone know the stock small block spring rate???

Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know that I bought some lowering springs(1") from Mustangs Unlimited. They are rated at 600 lbs/in. You might want to give them a look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts