Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have full length headers that come within 1/2 of the starter. When the engine is hot, it will barely if at all crank over. I am not 100% sure the sarter is the problem. But its a good guess. Is there an sort of shields available, or a smaller (physical size) type of starter available? Could the battery be the culprit even if it reads 12v and 14.4 when running? When the engine is cool it starts great.
The engine is a 351c 2v, if it matters. The timing is at set at 12 degrees initial.
Thanks....Kevin

·
Registered
764 Posts
Are your headers ceramic coated? I've only had this problem when I ran uncoated headers. If they aren't coated, I highly recommend getting them coated. The engine bay will be a lot cooler this way.

I've heard some people with hot start problems speak of success when switching to a gear reduction starter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes to both of your questions, they make a smaller starter, I however being a cheapskate went with a shield/wrap. I bought it a my local speed shop it is a silver looking cloth type wrap with velcro that goes around the starter and so far it has done the job.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
See Summit or Jegs catalog for DEI heat shielding (Summit p/n DEI -010402). also DEI heat shielding for cables (Summit p/n 010414, 010415, 010406, 010407).

To keep cables away from headers I use two starter cable bracket/grommets, one before and one after the right motor mount. This item is NPD part number 14302. I also wrapped the cable with glass tape. Glass tape is available at home appliance supply stores. It is normally used to repair toasters and oven wiring, etc. The purpose being to prevent deterioration of the starter cable.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I've got exactly the same problem – but a different set-up. I still have the factory exhaust manifolds. My pipes don't really come anywhere close to my starter; and for years I never had any hot start problems.

Then after I installed my Pertronix ignition, the problem started. At first, it appeared that the timing was just too far advanced. After retarding it a fraction at a time, the hot starts got easier. So logic tells me that if I'm still having hot start issues, it's bound to be the Pertronix, right? Problem is, I can't retard the timing any more – the car simply won't run!

My hard starts are only when the engine is hot. All other times it jumps to life at a touch of the key. I've replaced all my grounds and plan to get a heat sheild for the starter next; but I keep remembering this didn't all start until I installed the Pertronix...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have ceramic coated long tubes and it was still too hot for the starter (newly replaced). I just put a DEI heat shield wrap around my starter. It seems to have solved the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts