Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade a 351M - 2V to a 4V.
I am looking at an Edelbrock #2171 intake and an Edelbrock 600cfm carb.
The comparable Weiand intake #8010 is about the same price.
This is for my daily driver ('71 Ranchero w/newer engine) so I am looking to improve all-around performance and economy.
Has anyone used one of these combos? Is the Edelbrock #8011 SMB Ford (like the #8010) a dual plane manifold?

Thanks for any input.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Re: Carb- Assuming a max actual RPM of 6000, and a volumetric efficiency of 90% (which is a little high), I calculate the max CFM at 548. That's not to say that you can't go bigger and jet down. If you have an automatic, go with vaccume secondaries, with a stick, go with mechanicals. Edelbrock carbs are good modified Holley units which work well right out of the box. The new Holley street avenger series can be purchased for less, and has all the features of the Edelbrock plus the ease of parts is better since there are more retailers (in general) for Holley than Edelbrock. Edelbrocks tech support is not all that great either, depending on who you talk to. Holley is not always great, but typically to a much higher consistancy and there are some really good carb shops who specialize in Holley units. FYI, although it depends on the intake, Fords prefer square bore carbs better than spread bore units (design reasons).

Manifold: Edelbrock, Offenhauser and Holley all make excellent manifolds for your application. If you purchase a Holley carb, I would go with a Holley intake for a couple of reasons. The Edelbrock flows good but it is typically more expensive than what the Holley or Offy can be purchased for. I just have a hard time paying 5-10% more for something because of a name on a street application. Your Holley distributor might be able to get you a "package deal" to even save you a few more bucks.

IMHO

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

G

·
0 Posts
Those heads like to breathe, Its not the best engine for performance but I've driven a couple of good ones. You could go larger on the carb but I 600 will work fine if you want some sort of economy out of that engine.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We run a 600 on the track car. I tried a 750 but it didn't pull as hard
off the corners. I think you are on the right track with the 600 and
dual plane intake.

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn4.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn1.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
i got an article how they got 380 hp at the wheels and 450 lbs of torque out of a 400. hehe. its pretty good. they used a performer manifold and a 600 carb. of course they did other stuff as well. but u get the picture. we are going to try and do this to the 400 we have sitting in the drive way right now. but it might be a while before we get around to it. its pretty much the same engine as a 351M - only stroked i think.

Corpus Christi TX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts