Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marti report says it came with f70x14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires. It seems my choice is Firestone white wall or Firestone vs Goodyear in raised white letters any thoughts or other recommendations. I finished restoring the original Lic Plates and I can't believe how much better a Mustang looks with California Plates!

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
742 Posts
Marti report says it came with f70x14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires. Any help on a good period looking replacement? I finished restoring the original Lic Plates and I can't believe how much better a Mustang looks with California Plates! View attachment 796302
Coker Tires sells tires that are for period-correct looks on older cars. You could try looking at Coker and see what you can find. They may have what you need there. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Nice car!

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
742 Posts
Marti report says it came with f70x14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires. Any help on a good period looking replacement? I finished restoring the original Lic Plates and I can't believe how much better a Mustang looks with California Plates! View attachment 796302
I found some tires on Coker which match the description of what you want. Take a look for yourself! I also found some word on the Concours forums and although these tires aren't concours, they are period-correct and are correct for 67-68 year Mustangs. These are close to the original tires that were on your Mustang! Firestone Wide Oval | Pin White Stripe | F70-14

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I found some tires on Coker which match the description of what you want. Take a look for yourself! I also found some word on the Concours forums and although these tires aren't concours, they are period-correct and are correct for 67-68 year Mustangs. These are close to the original tires that were on your Mustang! Firestone Wide Oval | Pin White Stripe | F70-14
Yep, that one or this one Firestone Wide Oval | Raised White Letter | F70-14 whitewall or raised letters?

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Just an FYI - you can buy those same tires through Summit at the same price without having to pay the shipping costs that Coker charges. It appears as though Summit charges approximately $20.00 to ship as an oversize item. Not sure what Coker shipping charge would be. When I bought my dual-redlines a few years ago, I bought through Summit for this very reason. Saved well over $100.00 if I recall.

Coker Tire 54860 Coker Firestone Wide Oval Tires | Summit Racing

Coker Tire 54850 Coker Firestone Wide Oval Tires | Summit Racing

John

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
And since we're showing off - '66 Alabama plates on my '66

John
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Land vehicle Cloud

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Cooper Cobra Radial GTs cost less and have a RWL on one side. I would be tempted to spend the $$$ on a set of reproduction Firestones with modern guts to enjoy on a beauty like that !!

Reactions: ranegless

·
Registered
1968 C-code 289 B&B EX268 3.55 open Fastback
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread and I’m always a little slow on these things so pardon me if this is old news.

I’m seeing a pattern: mostly stemming from the Marti Report I got for my ‘68 fastback and vintage photos of mustangs. Seems like the cars with white C-stripes came with white side wall tires and the cars with black C-stripes had raised white letters.

Although I love the look of raised white letter bias plies, the Firestone Wide Ovals with pin white stripe in the center of the sidewall is one whitewall that I LOVE the look of. I wish Coker Tire could throw down and reverse engineer this tire. Such a pretty tire! IMHO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this is an old thread and I’m always a little slow on these things so pardon me if this is old news.

I’m seeing a pattern: mostly stemming from the Marti Report I got for my ‘68 fastback and vintage photos of mustangs. Seems like the cars with white C-stripes came with white side wall tires and the cars with black C-stripes had raised white letters.

Although I love the look of raised white letter bias plies, the Firestone Wide Ovals with pin white stripe in the center of the sidewall is one whitewall that I LOVE the look of. I wish Coker Tire could throw down and reverse engineer this tire. Such a pretty tire! IMHO.
This is what I ended up doing
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1968 C-code 289 B&B EX268 3.55 open Fastback
5 Posts
Yikes!!! That looks freaking amazing! Well done! Looks totally ON POINT.

I just acquired a straight set of argent style steel wheels and am in the process of stripping and re-painting them. Looking to put on bias ply thin white stripe tires on them too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts