Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to Ford's and Mustang's. I just purchased a 1967 Mustang Fastback from a guy that had it for about 10 years. He bought it and put it in a shed with other cars. When I got the car home I found the door Vin said it was a coupe. I got a so called expert to look at the car and he that the car was a fastback and someone had put a coupe door on it. The Vin on the driver side inner fender could not be seen, he said it looked like it had bondo over it. So I sandblasted it. I pulled the right fender off and it looked like metal had been spot welded over the inner fender. You can tell the car had been wrecked in the front and pieced together.
So how can I get a VIN number for this car. Please help

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
At the approximate same spacing, behind the shock tower, along the fender lip is another stamped vin. You have to pull the left fender loose to reveal it.

Also the vin is stamped on the right side fender panel, same location as the factory left one. Also have to pull fender loose to reveal it.

Hope that helps.

I circled the vin area in black in pic below

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I hope you can reveal the VIN. Without it you could be in trouble if you ever need to sell the car. It’s not uncommon to see different vins on doors since people used donor doors to replace their damaged doors and didn’t bother to change the door tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
There is also the slim possibility that someone put a fastback roof etc on a coupe body. Let us know what you find out, and maybe what state you're in so we can help.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
The VIN on the door tag is meaningless.
Do you have the VIN on any paperwork from your purchase. What are the first 5 digits? Does it match the tag on the door?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
There are possibly two other places for a vin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is also the slim possibility that someone put a fastback roof etc on a coupe body. Let us know what you find out, and maybe what state you're in so we can help.
I am very sure that a roof has not been put on this car. The interior was out and can see the factory spot welds. I am in Georgia.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Has the interior look like it's ever been gone thru?
For many eastern half US (Detroit & NJ) built cars, there maybe a "build sheet" taped behind dash onto wire harness most likely behind instrument cluster. If so, it'll have a VIN on it. Now finding build sheet doesn't prove by itself that cars legal VIN, but it's another piece of info.
I have my build sheet for my 67 NJ built vert.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
541 Posts
While a factory VIN should be a deep stamp, I wouldn't sand blast anything else. You will destroy the VIN. Use a brass wire brush on a drill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The VIN on the door tag is meaningless.
Do you have the VIN on any paperwork from your purchase. What are the first 5 digits? Does it match the tag on the door?
The paper work just says it is a 1967 Mustang Fastback. I am a GM guy, is there a build sheet anywhere on this car.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Well, in Georgia (like my state of Alabama), a title is not required for sale of a vehicle that age but it may be an issue for someone from another state that needs a title to buy it. Many times a salvage title can be applied for and a new VIN is created. Still not ideal for someone that wants to buy a Mustang with a legit Mustang VIN. Wouldn't be an issue for me since I plan to keep my Mustang til we both rust apart.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Thank you for the great photo, I sandblasted two of the areas. I will check the third area tomorrow. Thanks.
Unless somebody is truly trying to hide them or had them removed blasting should not be necessary at all. If you can make out the stamping outline, like @kkupec02 said, wire brush on a drill (if you must). I might just brush some paint remover on and scrape it off.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
This thread brings up an interesting question. Did different plants have different practices for the hidden stamps? My Dearborn car has a hidden VIN on the passenger side approximately where the visible drivers side is. However on the drivers side, there was a hidden VIN right below the visible stamp and nothing on the rear fender apron. I am relatively certain no metal has been replaced.

Were there common differences or is it more a function of a particular worker, shift or day?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This thread brings up an interesting question. Did different plants have different practices for the hidden stamps? My Dearborn car has a hidden VIN on the passenger side approximately where the visible drivers side is. However on the drivers side, there was a hidden VIN right below the visible stamp and nothing on the rear fender apron. I am relatively certain no metal has been replaced.

Were there common differences or is it more a function of a particular worker, shift or day?
The standard specified spots are as shown in the pictures,but as you point out about your car there are exceptions.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
My 68 has only one inner fender vin, no hidden ones at all.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
The paper work just says it is a 1967 Mustang Fastback. I am a GM guy, is there a build sheet anywhere on this car.
I just answered above on build sheet. Most would have gotten one IIRC. Many, maybe not all where put somewhere under dash. IF the car was never torn down completely, it maybe still there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts