Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since day one of Red being back on the road I hear a creaking (can't thing of a better word) sound coming from the passenger rear side. This typically happens at each gradual acceleration from a complete stop and then when I take the foot off the gas pedal. If I could point it out it seems to be associated with the rear RH leafs. New leafs, new bushings, new everything down there. Do I just start WD40ing one thing at a time to see when the creaking stops?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Are they rubber or poly bushings? Keep pouring the lube to them. Sometimes they have to come out to get the lubricant where it needs to go.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Don't forget the shocks!!
I had a creak in on of my cars that made me crazy.
Every time I stopped I could hear it at application of the brakes and then again on the slight pullback after the stop.
Also on an occasiona turn. After checking everything out it turned out to be the seat belt reel..creaked at a certain point as I moved.
Bruce

K

·
0 Posts
And here....I was going to say the wife. :winkgrin:

Sorry, it was a great set-up line. ::

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I had a similar situation after installing new leaf springs. It turned out that I had the shackle bolts too tight, causing them to bind. Loosened them up a turn or so, and the creak was gone.

Hope this helps,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Make sure the tip inserts are in each end of the leaf springs. Spring shops like Spring Works sell them.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shackle U bolts needed tightening. I did it and the sound is gone! It's a totally different car now.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts