Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in-law sadly is at the point of selling his cars and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. He has a fully restored 65 K code which aside from the paint chip by rear window is how it was when it came off the assembly line built with all nos parts and a 34 chevy coupe that is like new but had interior updates. I have no idea values or how to get them appraised so if anyone could give me a tip on how to get them sold I'd appreciate it. The cars are in Plymouth, MI

At this moment I do not have pics of the cars but will work on getting them

Thank you

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
w/o pics- its a little difficult. You could look around at various sites (ebay/craigslist, etc) and average the prices (understanding you can ask what you want- but may not get that)

That said- a K code FB is pretty high value car. If its truly as it came off the assy line- you might even have something that would be worth enough to consider a classic car auction (think mecum et al)

Can't really comment on the 34- Those have peaked in value IMHO and you need the right guy to even consider one - but not sure where your best resource is on that type of vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I was thinking about getting the paint chip fixed and then Mecum. I know it at one time won trophy's and Ford had rented it several times. I'm working on more pics, he is the guy that never threw away anything and now has dementia. His garage and basement are full of car parts, house parts, anything and everything so it's going to be a little bit, was just wondering if any one in my area could lead me toward an appraiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Wow, it's a K-Code fastback. That's a valuable car there, my friend. You might try the Hagerty valuation tool to put yourself in the ball park.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the 34 Chevrolet Coupes aren't worth as much as the '34 Ford Coupes. But again, try the Hagerty tool.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
The Mustang Fastback in the photos has fog lights. If it's an all original K code GT Fastback you could be talking $50K or thereabouts.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don’t know that I would Mecum the car. On a bad day with no reserve it could go for far less than it’s worth. See if you can get the garage cleared enough to roll the car out and get better pics (or enough space to get some in the garage). Get the report from Kevin Marti with the VIN so you can see how it came optioned. You’ll need pics and the info in the Marti report to get top dollar no matter where you sell. Haggerty is putting excellent to concours 65 GTs at 45-60k with K codes 50-80k but they are at times a bit generous on the valuation tool. Average K code 45k.

There should be some appraisers up your way or close. As more see this thread guys from up your way should have some to add.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If that K code is as nice as it looks and as original as you say, $50k is easy. You’ll need to find out if it’s the original motor. HiPo engines had a VIN stamping on the passenger side of the block, near the starter. Google where to find it. Then look for the HiPo only goodies, exhaust manifolds, heads, distributor, etc. The more original and correct the higher the value. Hagerty has a goood valuation tool.

Good luck to you and your father-in-law.

Reactions: Tony West

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
One thing you may want to do is give Wayne Carini a call. I had a 1030 Harley that I restored and called him. He came up to look at it and now its in his private collection. Wouldn't hurt to try. Google F40 motorsports and you should find a link to Emial him. He most likely will ask for pictures. If its something he would be interested in he will respond. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
If it's a real K code GT Fastback....It will be worth way more than 50K...especially in Black.... I can tell you that...

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: Tony West

·
Registered
226 Posts
Beautiful car! I'm sure I'm speaking for just about everyone here when I say we would ALL like to get our hands on it.
Good luck with the sale.
There is a '65 K code convert in my area for sale for $43K. I would think your GT fastback would be north of that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My suggestion is to focus your efforts on locating a competent appraiser, and then have the vehicles properly appraised.

I’m sure there are folks on this forum that can provide you with suggestions and guidance on locating qualified appraisers.

Yes, the garage is stuffed and the cars are not very visible from the images..... but even so you can tell there is quality in the cars and they deserve a proper evaluation (or two) on the value before marketing for sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was hoping someone could point me to in my area

My suggestion is to focus your efforts on locating a competent appraiser, and then have the vehicles properly appraised.

I’m sure there are folks on this forum that can provide you with suggestions and guidance on locating qualified appraisers.

Yes, the garage is stuffed and the cars are not very visible from the images..... but even so you can tell there is quality in the cars and they deserve a proper evaluation (or two) on the value before marketing for sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with them but a quick google search for classic car appraisals comes up with several appraisers in your general vicinity.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Haggerty is putting excellent to concours 65 GTs at 45-60k with K codes 50-80k but they are at times a bit generous on the valuation tool. Average K code 45k.
The Haggerty numbers are usually a tad behind current market values. So in a bull market, they're low and vice versa. But they're not that far behind. Keep in mind that the Haggerty "grading system" covers an extremely broad spectrum of conditions: rust buckets to the most perfect specimens where judges argue which screws are correct for the glove box for a certain month at a certain factory. We always look at the top number Haggerty posts as a reference, but that car is a pampered, trailered unicorn that won it's class at the Nationals. Everyone thinks their baby is "#2 Excellent" condition because it's been restored or is exactly how it came from the factory. Probably not. Almost all cars restored by amateurs begin at the high end of "#3 Good", and go down from there.

In this case, we can't tell anything about the car's condition or originality from the photos. But from the state of the garage, I'd say it's a safe bet it's in "#3 Good" range. If so, then I agree that $45K to $50K is a very safe estimate. But K-code collectors are less sane than average classic car lovers. So here's what I would do...

#1) Document and detail the crap out of the car. Get it as perfect as possible while spending the least amount. Call in the local Mustang club for help if needed. At the very least, an MCA judge needs to verify all the original Factory K-code stuff.

#2) Photo-document the car from every angle: inside, outside, top, and bottom. Don't use a cell phone! Hire a pro if needed. The photo shoot should occur on a bright, sunny day at a nearby lake. There should be many colorful Fall leaves in the background. Supposedly, you're showing the car's condition. Really, you're doing a Playboy centerfold layout to attract stupid, rich virgins for the money pit sacrifice.

#3) Auction the car with your gorgeous photo-set on "Bring a Trailer". The people watching the BAT web site auctions have WAY more money than common sense (including many foreign bidders who may have a stronger currency at the moment). If the car is actually worth say $50K, then a BAT auction will likely bring $70K to $80K.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mecum allows a reserve to be set. Make it 50,000 and see where it goes. I think it will sell above that.
Randy

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,635 Posts
While an appraisal may be of value for insurance purposes, it has been my experience that appraisals often exceed fair market values by a large enough margin to be of limited value in setting a sale price. That being said, to locate a qualified appraiser, check with the Mustang Club of America for references on the Mustang. For the Chevy, perhaps a Chevy centric club can refer you to someone that is qualified to provide an accurate appraisal for resale purposes.

General research on the current range of values can include Hemmings Motor News, recent completed auctions including Bring A Trailer (BAT), The usual auction houses that populate Pebble Beach and Scottsdale might have some reliable data for you. Keith Martin's Sports Car Market publishes auction results from around the county. Lastly, IIRC, Good Guys publishes a magazine for members that includes classified ads. Perhaps someone here who is a Good Guys member can confirm that.

Since you mention your Father-in-law is suffering from dementia, if his mental capacity is an issue, his legal ability to deliver an endorsed title/Bill of Sale might be in question, contact his estate planning attorney if in doubt.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
- Agree completely about appraisers. Their numbers are likely not much good for selling a car.

- MCA judges? Yeah, there are some good MCA judges. No offense to MCA judges here on VMF, but there are also clowns who are MCA judges. (I've encountered a few.) It's not that hard to be an MCA judge. You simply take a simple test. So, that could go either way. A good MCA judge will have knowledge and experience far beyond the test.

- To repeat, the Hagerty tool is a good way to get "in the ball park".

- Wayne Carini? He can be helpful if you want to wholesale a car so he can resell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with that. Guys like Carini invest time and money to transport, clean up, repair and maybe do some restoration. Most sellers don't want to mess with all that. Carini can also help with auctioning a car. He provides advice as a consultant, takes the car to auction and collects a fee. It has to be a pretty expensive car to be worth his while. I'm not sure anything below $100,000 would be worth his time. And, sure, Carini also buys cars for his private collection. But his collection is substantial and eclectic. It simply has to be a car he wants. It's possible Carini would want to buy a K-Code fastback for himself, but not likely.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Once you have it out, pictures and further information available and a price you are looking for, I'd suggest posting it up here on VMF to all your new friends first as you never know who may be interested. Just my .02

John

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
While an appraisal may be of value for insurance purposes, it has been my experience that appraisals often exceed fair market values by a large enough margin to be of limited value in setting a sale price.
- Agree completely about appraisers. Their numbers are likely not much good for selling a car.

Kind of like jewelry that appraises for about twice what it will actually sell for.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts