Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to recover the Deluxe interior in my 69 convertible and I'm confused about something. I have my new TMI upholstery but have noticed that there are no holes cut out in my new upholstery for the head rests, the woodgrain buttons, or the seat adjust levers.

I don't want to screw anything up, so can anyone tell me how I can make these holes for the areas I mentioned above? Has anyone else run into these same problems? I really want to start upholstering my Mustang, but I have no idea how to make these holes. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Contact TMI and ask for their technical assistance. They can be pretty helpful.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I recover I always completely cover, stretch, and attach, before making holes. It would be nearly impossible to get the holes in the right place before doing so. I use a small knife on the bigger holes, something like an ice pick pushed through the material into the hole on the small holes, and take a small hammer and tap around any rods to mark the spot or sometimes this will even make the hole if the egdes are sharp enough. (like where the seat back attaches to the base)

·
Registered
636 Posts
If they're bigger holes, like headrest posts, you can feel them before cutting. If they're smaller places where screws will be, I put the screws in before I recover, then expose the screwheads with an X-Acto knife and back them out. Don't be cheap either, buy some new quality blades.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Someone here mentioned useing a soldering iron to melt the holes. I had to poke holes in my headliner to install shoulder belts. I tried the hot soldering iron, and it worked great. Wish I could remember who had this idea. I would thank him. The hot iron melts through the material like butter, and leaves a little seal around the hole, so it won't tear on you.....Idea to remember.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts