Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifes 94 Jeep won't pass emmissions-reads NOX (I think she said) at 1670, with 930 being the max alllowed. Guy said it was running rich?

Waddya think? O2 sensor, catalyst, fuel adjustment? tuneup?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
What you should do is to replace the engine with, say, a 351W, and the body with, say, a '69 Sportsroof. That should fix it right up *LOL*.

Start with the tuneup, although a tuneup doesn't entail much on a fuel injected, electronic ignition car. Make sure the car is good and warmed up, before testing.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I was gonna say...eat lots of Texas Chilli!!!!

how many miles does the Jeep have?

if lots of miles....have a basic tune up done.....by the way
O2 sensor, EGR valve, PCV etc should be checked and or changed
at around 80k anyway.

If the HC's are high at idle, have the EGR checked...

if CO % is high at idle check O2 sensor and air filter checked.
sometimes airby pass valves get stuck shut and cause a rich condition on EFI cars as well. (they are usually located on the throttle body.

regards.....

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Wash them beans down with a couple of beers, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
NOX is would be lower if rich and CO would be too high. Assuming your jeep is FI, back the timing off. NOX is higher when cylinder pressures are higher or the cylinder is hotter. This can happen when timing is too far advanced, lean conditions or ERG valve is not opening correctly. If retarding the timing does not help, make sure your ERG valve is working. Also might help to run a colder spark plug. Good luck

·
Registered
455 Posts
A rich mixture will NOT cause high NOx.NOx is caused by high combustion temperature.Check EGR for proper operation.Apply vacume directly to the vave at idle.If the passages are clear the eng should stall or at least come close.Check plugs for exccesive gap(ware)and check timming.Also check fuel presure.And make sure the eng isn't running to hot.If all the above are OK the problem is probably the catalitic converter.The work around for this problem would be to retard the timming advance.In a Ford you would pull the Spout conector.On a Jeep do whatever you would do to check base timming and leave it that way untill after the test.
I"m a certified emmissions inspector and tech.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The last two posters are correct. In general, a rich condition will not cause high NOx emission. High cylinder pressures will cause high engine out NOx. A lean exhaust condition will cause reduced catalyst effiency for NOx. This could be caused by an exhaust manifold leak.

As the previous poster stated, check your timing and EGR valve. One of these are probably the cause.

Good Luck,
Glenn

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insights-this car has electronic timing so no joy there. I am going to check the egr this evening. I am having the catalytic converter changed out since it rattles anyway-probably will fix the problem.

Thanks.

J. boggs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts