Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I am replacing the stock radiator in my 302, '66 to a 3 row Champion radiator. I have a transmission cooler in front of the radiator. I have a hard time trying to fit my transmission cooler lines from in front of the radiator. There were just enough space with the stock radiator, but not with this Champion radiator.

What have you guys with the Champion radiator done? Is there a tip to make the fit somewhere?

Also, my new spacer for the fan (from Scott Drake) seems to be too snug to fit properly all the way in. Any tips here too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Radiator doesn't have in radiator transmission cooler?

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
Unless I am using a vehicle for towing, racing, running a fairly "high stall" converter, or the stock cooling system is crippled somehow I don't/won't run an external transmission cooler. I doubt you need the cooler, m ost people don't.

No need to take my word for it though. Install everything without the cooler and install a transmission temperature gauge. If your transmission temperatures consistently run higher than you are comfortable with THEN you would need to figure out how to put that cooler on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just remember when you place the trans cooler in front of the radiator the heat that is pulled out of the trans cooler is going to flow through your radiator core like an air conditioning condenser's heat. That might cancel out the benefits of your three row radiator. If your car runs hot with the AC on you can always turn off the AC. You can't turn off the trans cooler. If it needed one it would have been there from the factory, unless you are using the vehicle differently than it was designed for. Its just another spot for it to leak from.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is like buying a new pair of pants and wanting to wear them with the old comfortable ones. Your old cooler may not work as well as the new one in the radiator. The USPS learned that adding a small cooler in series with the radiator one didn't help with transmission cooling. Just go with the new.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
My66ht,

also not a fan of trans cooler in front of radiator. Water transfers heat measurably more efficiently than air. prefer not to impede air flow to radiator.
on our 66/c4/2800 stall converter behind a very happy blue printed 289/ 10.5 :1 C/R, a Fluidenye radiator with integrated trans cooler the trans fluid temp as measured at the pan never exceeds 170.

But running a deep B&M finned cast AL pan which adds 2qts to the trans fluid system as well.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
34,577 Posts
If it's a long, thin one ever consider dropping it down behind the valance? Add a sheet aluminum "deflector" under the bumper and below the stone guard to direct air down to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts