Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VMF please help!
Tryng to start my 65 coupe today but am a bit confused on the altenator wiring. I got the 3 wires on the altenator tied down but about 3-4 inches down the wire cluster theres a little black with red stripe wire. Im assuming its a ground wire ? But where does it get its ground theres also a wire clamp about an inch south of that where does that go? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated THANKS=-)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The black/red stripe wire is a ground. The drawing I was looking at shows it tied to ground near the alt. and it's also grounded at the voltage regulator as well. Not sure what you mean by a clamp. The black/red striped wire shows a wire loop on each end of it to put a screw through to hold them down. If the extra wire you may be refering to is black/yellow stripe then it's a test lead for the alt.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but where does it ground to? its a really tiny eye hole and short wire does it go to one of the studs on the altenator?
Im abot ready to convert to a one wire setup these voltage reg's are for the birds.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
There should be a small grounding lug on the alternator housing, on the back side, looking a lot like another one of the lugs. Close inspection will show it is firmly part of the case; the other lugs are insulated from the case inself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts