Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has decided that it's time to trade the truck in for a car. My 15-yr old daughter needs to learn to drive in something that won't be so difficult to handle in traffic.

I am thinking about the Marauder. I went and looked at one tonight and it fits my frame really well. Not to mention looking just plain mean.

Can any of you think of other vehicles that might fit the bill?

I also looked at the current crop of Mustangs, but they don't really excite me, unless they are Cobra, or Roush, neither of which is appropriate to the task.

Thoughts and or comments?

·
Registered
241 Posts
you could wait a year or 2 and get a new body Mustang. But that wiill be a while. Oh well. i bet it's worth the wait. But I understand your current needs. The Marauders are really nice. I like them

·
Registered
652 Posts
I dunno - the Marauder is a pretty big set of wheels for a new driver to work around.
Not to mention a whole buncha power. And rear-wheel drive. Do you live in snow
country? (of course I think all snow-country kids should learn on a rear wheel drive.
It makes them better drivers overall).

What about getting a gently used mid-size car until she's got a couple of years
of experience and then let her buy the car from you. Then you can go out get
an '04/'05 Mustang?

G

·
my moms 97 merc mountaineer was a pretty good learn vehicle. easy to drive, good looking, and though it has power, you really need to get on it before it does anything. just my $0.02 (ive always wanted to say that)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Kent,

You are aware, aren't you, that kids cant get their licences anymore in California until they turn 18. She cant even get a permit until she is 17 1/2 and even then requires someone 25 or older in the car (no one else) while driving. I am not sure that at this point her learning to drive is a consideration....

randy

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Look at some of the new european style mid-sized SUVs like the Ford Escape, Land Rover Freelander, Toyota higlander.

My dad is a big guy (6'6 260) and loves his Ford Escape...he fits in it extremely well, and the V6 has something like 200hp.

I think a marauder would be a cool car but not the best for a new driver.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything you say makes perfect sense, but for one small hitch: this car is going to be MY primary vehicle. It has to be something I will be able to live with for the next three to five years.

Once the daughter is ready to go off to school she will be buying her own wheels. All I need for her now is a vehicle to learn on that is better in traffic than a full-sized pickup.

And no, I don't live in snow country.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A Marauder for a 15 year old to learn in, Damn I did something wrong when my parents forced me learn in a 72 Ford LTD!!!
How about adopting me and letting me drive the new Marauder??

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yeah no kidding... I think letting ANYONE learn how to drive with 300 horsepower is asking for trouble, Kent. I almost killed myself driving my friend's mild 69 Mustang with a 351 and it didn't even have 300 horses when I first got my license at 17.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
She cant even get a permit until she is 17 1/2 and even then requires someone 25 or older in the car (no one else) while driving. I am not sure that at this point her learning to drive is a consideration....
--------------------------
Hmmmm the law says that you can be in a driver training course at 16.5 years of age and can get the permit and you can ONLY drive WHEN you have a person 25 or older with you at all times while driving. Then at 17.5 years of age they can get a restricted driver license when driving by themselves no younger passengers are allowed unless someone 25 years or older is present, then there is also the driver curfew as well....can't drive later than 11:00 pm (i might be a little off)

then at 18 they are cut loose.

Anyway...the state did toughen up for good reasons too....
ALOT of teen drivers are dangerous!!! I know, I was one of them!!!
good thing I never caused an accident let alone be in one!!
*knock on wood*

The marauder is a good choice.....Does it have to be a car?!?!?!
that Harley extra cab is sure looking nice right about now!!!

This way you will have room for extra passengers AND have the ability to load stuff up on the truck and do some light duty towing
in style!!!

regards

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hey!!! LTDs with 351C do haul some B*LLS!!!!!

We had some on the skidpad at the Police academya and boy did I have fun beating on those cars!!!! They used these because they weren't worth much and didn't matter if we crashed em....

when we did the high speed chases and sliding maneuvering etc....we did use crown vics and some Chebbie Lt1 caprices...

dont knock ltds.....very solid cars!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Marauder? I actually had search for that on google.

Not a personal fan of Chrysler, but my uncle has a 300M and loves it.

I took a drive in it and was pretty impressed. Luxurious, with some decent HP, 255. Handles real nice and has a Automatic 4-speed with AutoStick which gives it a nice touch.

Might want to check those out.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
but honestly does not seem like the right car for the task. I guess a major consideration is the number of people you will be driving around in it. One car I've had my eye on is the SVT Focus, that's a cool setup for under $20K. You also have the new Z coming out shortly, and everyone seems to really like their Altimas. That new Infiniti is a neat looking car. And finally the suggestion of a Subaru WRX is another good one.

That Marauder does not seem like the right fit though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Kent:
just my .02, but i have driven Taurus/Sables for the past 14 years without a hitch, until this year when I traded my Sable for 32V Lincoln Contential!!!! Best daily cruiser I've owned!!! More HP than any T/S and better ride, handling, gas mileage, etc.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also, since I drive alot for work, I usually buy a demo, lease vehicle. On the Lincoln I recently purchased, new $38,200, off lease $16,200! Not bad for a 2000 that had 34k miles on it!
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351C 4v w/a shaker!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I just bought a '00 Crown Victoria and already backed into a tree... The bumper is plastic so it popped back out, but the paint cracked a bit. I was parallel parking on a narrow street in Campbell. A repair will have to wait until I can fit it in my budget.

I do like not having to fold myself up into an econobox. There is plenty of legroom, and I don't have to push the seat all the way back.

How about a Maxima or an Accord? They're both reliable, yet vanilla.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The big ImpalaSS and now the Mercury Maurader is aimed directly at us aging Baby Boomers....

I refuse to submit to a big, cushy, semi-quick bohemoth... Give me something light and quick!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts