Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did lots of searching and reading on here and now think I can tackle this, a few unanswered questions;
I understand this lowers the front of the car by 1", what about the rear, leafsprings? What is a good spring/shock combo to work in conjuction with this? I dont do any road racing but want good handling and a lower stance.
Ar

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
The Shelby 1" drop doesn't lower the front 1". It only relocates the upper arm down 1". As a result, it'll actually lower the car by about 1/2". The reason in relocating the upper control arm is to give better camber characteristics for improved handling and tire wear.

The Shelby drop isn't without it's problem though. It puts the balljoint at it's operation limit. Many people have had balljoint failures. Most likely reason that I think is worn bump stops allowing the suspension to over travel.

There's also another upper arm drop that lowers the arm 1 3/4" and uses a "wedge" on the upper balljoint to prevent binding.

Lowering the upper arms will lower the roll angle of the car, improving handling without as much need for stiff springs.

To lower the rear, vendors sell lowering blocks that are simple to install.

I would highly recomend that you talk to knowlegable guys on the forum who actually road race to get a good street set up, such as Art,opentracker, billgear, shaun, dinosawnj or roadracer.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
With regard to dropping the rear axle, I installed mideye leaf springs. That dropped the rear end ~1".
I have the shelby drop installed (over 2 years on the road, and over 10k miles per year) and haven't had any problems with ball joints. I also have received similar feedback from roadracer and others...

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I did the 1" drop on mine back in '81 (seems like forever ago!) and have never had a problem with the ball joints. I also used the 620 lb. 1" lower front springs, and I have no problems with tire rubbing. I use the 1" lowering blocks on the rear with standard springs. Love it. Now I want the adjustable strut arms and the coil-over kit!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for all the input. I am going to try and tackle most of it this weekend. Ill try and take some pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts