Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is my Delemia I We have bought what seems to be a 70 1/2 Mustang an we can't find anything out about it Looks Like a 71 mustang title an door say 70 it was realeased in feburary the Vin number according too the few people I talk to say it is A 71 Mustang Does anyone know if there such thing As 70 1/2 mustang an If so do they know where to get some info about it Will apreciate any Info I can get . its 2 door coupe

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Does the VIN in your windshield match the VIN on the driver's door warrantee plate? The '70 and '71 bodies are very different so I would think if the body looks like a '71 it's actually a '71. Does the VIN start with a 0 ('70) or a 1 ('71)? It could be the car's VIN was mistyped as a '70 by some past owner's DMV. Not too unusual. I used to have a '65 Mustang coupe whose title said it's VIN was 5R07G(and six numbers I forget). It would have been nice if it had a BOSS 302 engine but sadly, it really had a 2 bbl 289 (C engine).

Hope someone can help you more with your question,

Dean T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Vin matches the window an the door an the door says 70 an yes the begining says 01 which mean it's a 71 I guess I'm really Confused by this though cause like i said the door says 70

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That is interesting. I thought the VIN would be something like 0R, 0T or 0F. First digit is the last digit of the year, the second character is the manufacturing plant R= San Jose, T = Metchuen (sp?) and F = Dearborn. I have a '78 Fairmont whose VIN starts as 8K which is 8 = '78 and K = Kansas City assembly plant. I made the assumption the 70 or 71 would be the same way but you know what happens when we assume! *G*

Now I really hope someone can help you out - I'd like to know too!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Are you sure it is not 12/70 instead of 2/70? In any event, it is highly possible that it is infact a typo. Kevin Marti of Marti Autoworks could possibly get you the correct information.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It could be that the 01 is in actuality a 0T which would make it a 70 built in Metuchen, NJ. If you could post the first 5 or 6 digits of the vin or maybe a picture of the car we could help you figure it out. The difference between a 70 and 71 is very noticable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No such thing as 1/2 year cars, model years change on the year only. What we commonly call 64 1/2s are actually registered (and were sold by Ford) as 65s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will get a pic as soon as I can I can not post the Vin Number right away Because I Didn't bring it to work But I will tommorw . thanks for all the Post An How would I get ahold of this marti Person

1 - 10 of 10 Posts