Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a bunch of parts for my 69 I’ve been collecting over the years. I had a negative wedge kit for my 3 bolt front upper control arms for my ‘69. Finally got around to install the kit but does this look right? There is about an 1/8” plus space on the front. Would the 4 bolt ball joint kit be better? It just seems like this would allow a lot of stress on the bolts since it’s not resting all the way around on the arm.

I plan on doing the Shelby drop is reason for doing this as I understand lowering the upper control arms and the negarltive wedge kit allow for better handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't use wedge kits. The extra amount of drop you'd be able to take advantage of (without shortening the upper arm)
doesn't do much for geometry improvement....... and the way that piece fits? No way.

I'm afraid the wedge kits are really a solution looking for a problem. They're not "negative" anyway..... that would imply perhaps that they can
attain negative camber gain if you install. That isn't the case though.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do yourself a favor and don't use wedge kits. The extra amount of drop you'd be able to take advantage of (without shortening the upper arm)
doesn't do much for geometry improvement....... and the way that piece fits? No way.

I'm afraid the wedge kits are really a solution looking for a problem. They're not "negative" anyway..... that would imply perhaps that they can
attain negative camber gain if you install. That isn't the case though.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Yeah I don’t like the way it fits. So what should I do to get the ball joint angle right to do the upper control arm drop?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
How much of a drop are you planning? If you keep it to 1" or 1 1/8" you won't have a problem with the standard ball joint mounting.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think the Pro Motorsports template was like 1.75” drop. I ran that for a while and when I went to Global West arms, I noticed that the bolts holding the wedge on were bent. This seems to be common with the wedge.

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
1.75" is too much. (The camber curve when plotted out with the 1.75 drop, did not provide so much more
benefit that would make the additional amount tremendously worthwhile)
The "Ford" number supposedly was 1.38" and was shortened to 1" down to keep the ball joint intact.

Early Global NR kits had the template which dropped the tubular arms 1.5"....... but those are shorter
arms. My '66 has that amount of drop. It was the second car they ever did.
On later kits I believe they went to 1 3/8"...... it's been while but that's my recollection.
I want to say this change to 1 3/8" down was right around 1990.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I agree that 1.75 is too much but the is the holes I have. Next tine I have the uppers out, I may weld them up and redrill l.
Doug at GW doesn't think the extra drop is a catastrophe. Just not required

1 - 8 of 8 Posts