Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This couple lives 4 houses down from me on the same street! I didn't know them very well, but they always waved when I drove past.

Christiansburg Man Shoots, Kills Wife

I'm not bragging, but we live in an upscale neighborhood outside of town with large houses with lots of land. Almost all of the neighbors get along, we let out dogs run loose and nobody cares. It's just a nice, quite neighborhood. I can't believe this happened, but I guess anything is possible no matter where you live.

I don't know if either he or she has any surviving family, but I really hate that both families are going to suffer through this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It feels really weird and leaves you with a sense of insecurity when things like this happen close to home.

Over 20 years ago, someone around the block from me (which was about 10 houses away) killed his wife, 2 kids, then himself. We came home to see police helicopters circling above our house and figured something bad happened...but didn't expect it to be that bad. I still think about what their surviving family members went through.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Dogs running loose doesn’t sound very fun,.....I would certainly care, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Every shift brings bad news for LEOs, FFs, EMTs and dispatchers. It's ALL close to home. It gets old. We want so much for things to be right.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Yeah, it's a strange thing. My neighbor, that I rode dirt bikes with when we were young, came home and killed his Mom and Step-Dad with a shotgun. Apparently he was in to drugs, and there was a dispute over money. I didn't even know it happened ( my closest neighbor is 1/4 Mile away ) until a TV camera was shoved in my face as I was trying to go to dinner !

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Dogs running loose doesn’t sound very fun,.....I would certainly care, lol.
When road cycling near Bristol, TN I found that to be the norm. Boy did I get some good sprint workouts...

As for the topic, it's amazing what goes on. Two in our subdivision have committed suicide in the last 10 years. One lady was part of our family friends group. Drop dead gorgeous. Very sad for her hubby and kids.

I have a brother in law that will spend the rest of his life in prison for stuff no one had any idea was going on. Many lives destroyed. Sad.

All were upper-middle class.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I knew a couple here in AZ in which we all worked together at the prison. One day, their 16 year old son decided he didn't want to live by their rules anymore, so he shot and killed his mother, and then called his dad home. When dad arrived, the boy shot and killed him too, and buried their bodies on the property. After being convicted and sent to prison, he killed his cellmate and almost got the death penalty for that one.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Stuff of every kind goes on in every kind of home in every kind of neighborhood. Nothing surprises me anymore, but the list of what disgusts gets a little longer every year.

@LeeFred ..."almost got the death penalty for that one." After double premeditated patricide and disposing of the bodies in that fashion he almost got the death penalty for killing another inmate. That's the kind of stuff that adds to the disgusting list.

We get to deal with their ever-worsening behavior from juvenile to jury trial, years of parents, teachers, counselors, pastors, attorneys, politicians, even judges finding more ways to ignore, make excuses and give second and third and subsequent chances and when the ultimate act comes, people ask, "How could this happen?" and somehow it's the fault of law enforcement and corrections for not "doing something."

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Everybody has their secret room that no one knows about. Every copper sees way too many dead right there bodies. They never go away.

·
Registered
734 Posts
No one knows what really goes on behind closed doors.
I was tangentially involved in one of those murder/suicide matters when it came time to decide where their child, now an orphan, would go live. It was the kind of decision with no correct answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Upscale neighborhood is no different when it comes to murder. If you ask me, people in upscale areas are under more stress. Money problems and relationship issues are prime reasons that create disasters in families. It sucks but don’t take things for granted in life you only get one chance.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It could be worse.
A few years back my neighbor across the street killed himself, or overdosed on Christmas Eve. I never found out which. I wrote about it on here some where.
I was shoveling snow from the side walks and driveways of my houses that are located next door and across the street from him. I had a lot of family that was coming over to celebrate Christmas day and it just snowed several inches.
I saw his girl friend arrive. She was pounding on the door. She kept going from the front door, to the back door trying to get into his house.
Moments later she came out the front door screaming hysterically someone call 911. I ran into my house and got my cell. I was running and dialing 911 back across the street.
At the same time my Aunt showed up trying to get my 90+ year old grandfather out of the car and in the house, and not slip on ice.
I get the 911 operator on the phone. She asks what is the emergency. I say, I have no idea I am calling for my neighbor.
The girl friend latches onto me in a WWF hug, screaming He's dead! He's dead! He's dead!
The 911 operator hears this and is asking me questions. I am trying to tell the operator I just arrived on the scene and don't know what the F is going on.
The girlfriend is crying and screaming he's blue, and cold, and dead, he is in the bathroom. She is latched onto me like a starving tick and crying hysterically.
I said something very sarcastic and smart ass to the operator, and suggested she get someone to the scene as fast as possible. It seemed like a long time but all I could do is console her, hold her, and let her latch onto me.
It is a long story, but you can imagine the rest of the day was pretty F'd up.

I forgot my point.
Oh yeah. That is a sad situation. Just be glad it didn't land in your lap. That sucks more.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I haven't decided what is worse...
Not knowing what happened,
knowing exactly what happened,
or having to tell somebody that loves em what happened.
House fires, child abuse, sexual assaults, suicides or murders...either way somebody is living and dying with it.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
LEO is one of the most crappy jobs on the planet. My hat is off to those who serve and endure the stress, heartache and trauma that goes with it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
@bmcgc It's a calling, for some.
We don't really need a big thanks, but everyone likes to be appreciated, and we appreciate all our good people. You all are why we do it. Every one of you on VMF and everybody out there that ever did a thing to make the wheels of this Nation roll. I've learned a thing or two here. @LeeFred is career Corrections and LEO. @awhtx is USPS and I appreciate them both big time. @69GT350H is former fire service and don't know what we'd do without them. And there are lots of current and former military personnel like yourself. For the last 250 years, you all have made and kept America sovereign and free and we owe you all a debt of gratitude that can never be paid, but I'm glad I get to live here with all of you for my little payment on the interest. So if I can miss some sleep, eat a cold meal, or have a bad dream so you don't have to, the pleasure is mine.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, I almost hate that I shared this with the group. I didn't mean to drudge up all these bad memories. Sorry about that.

In case you were wondering more about what happened read below.

It turns out, his wife had told him she wanted a divorce during a very heated argument earlier that evening. He started drinking, she decided she was leaving so he chased her to the car and emptied a gun at her while she was in the car. He fired 8 times and hit her 6. Then he called 911 and started screaming at the 911 Operator uncontrollably that he "shot his wife". She actually survived the shooting but passed away at the hospital later that night. The next door neighbors, which live like 300 yards away heard the shots, but we live out in the woods and the occasional short burst of gun shots isn't unusual (practice shooting on private property).

Local news video about the shooting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts