Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Wow @quik , I'm sorry you and your neighbors have been through this. You can say you wish you hadn't brought it up, but it's good for real people to talk about real problems and real solutions without the media spin. We're a community here. I hate to be so blunt sometimes, but I have at least one thing in common with all of you, Vintage Mustangs, and that's one more than I have with most people.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
When I was a little kid SWAT stormed our street including our backyard. Turns out the dude who lived two doors down got upset because his girlfriend broke up with him. He kidnapped her kids, who I knew and played with, and barricaded himself inside. They kids escaped and he shot himself in the head. Or maybe it was the other way around, I was only five. I'll never forget it. I'll never forget the feeling of thinking your neighbor Steve was a good guy until he wasn't. He didn't just kill himself, he kidnapped little kids. Very strange lesson to get very early in life.

Domestic violence is on the rise and/or becoming more severe during the pandemic. It's very hard for the most casual of acquaintances (like neighbors) to spot this sort of thing. Hiding it is part of the psychosis. Both of the abuser and the one living with the abuse. So is denial. Both parties become excellent liars. There probably wasn't anything any neighbor could have done to put it together. That's why neighbors are always surprised by this stuff on the news. I guess we just have to do our best to check in on people.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
^^^^ and don't ignore the signs when you see and hear them. You can report anonymously.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
^^^^ and don't ignore the signs when you see and hear them. You can report anonymously.
There is a neighbor of mine 3 houses down. He sometimes get's screaming and swearing at his wife in fits. The whole neighbor hood can hear the a$$. She kicks him out, or leaves every once in awhile. Then they get back together. I think she is a Detroit police officer. I'll never understand why she is with this nut job. He swears more than anyone I have ever heard.
From time to time you will see a Detroit police car in front of the house. Like someone has come over to have a discussion with him. That dude needs a good old fashion a$$ whooping. Then again. Maybe that is why the Detroit police cars stop by every now and then.
We live 2 cities away from Detroit so this is NOT their jurisdiction.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
@1969sag if she is DPD, maybe she gets to drive a patrol car home now and then. If there's a domestic situation going on there, call it in when you see it and hear it, let them know a LEO may live there so there is a high likelihood of weapons and LE training and ask them to intervene in spite of any of her assurance that she's "got this" because it's obvious she doesn't. You may save one or both lives.
Unfortunately, many LEOs have a fix-it mentality with their own relationships because they are tasked with band-aid fix-its with so many situations at work.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
LEO is one of the most crappy jobs on the planet. My hat is off to those who serve and endure the stress, heartache and trauma that goes with it.
+1. Good friend of mine retired from the Navy as a CPO, took a few months off and joined his local Police force. He quit inside of 3 years. He said people are disgusting and he had no desire to continue to see their disgusting lives up close.
This from a guy that was deployed to the Middle East probably 5 times after 9/11.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Its real for many of us.

I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood. He was a quasi-skinhead. He went to work everyday, minded his own business and was a good neighbor except he couldnt get along with his GF, they had 2 kids. One night they are screaming at each other, she runs out on the driveway, he follows and they are yelling at the top of their lungs. The cops show up. One of the officers walks over to me and asks if I saw him grab or hit her. I say no, they were about 5 feet apart yelling. He says all I have to do is say he touched her and they will arrest him. I say the guy has enough problems and Im not getting involved by saying I saw something when I didnt.

A couple weeks later, same scenario. She swings a purse at him and he puts his hand up and catches it. He yanked it out of her hand and when his hand went back he smacked one of the kids in the face pretty hard. I dont think he even new the kid was behind him. The kid is bleeding, she is freaking out, he just looks stunned. Her mom shows up before the cops get there, she has a gun and is in the driveway screaming for him to come out. cops show. Ambulance shows. All three of them get cuffed, I never see any of them again.

One of my wifes students rear ended a car (on purpose the police say) and the 58 yo driver of the car she rear ended was killed. She is sitting in jail without bond, charged with 1st degree murder. She didnt know the other driver. Apparently she is on ADHD meds and her mom who is a registered nurse told her to double the dosage. The girls mom told my wife this. After the fact, some of the other students tell my wife that the girl had been talking all crazy and had a premonition that she was going to be killed in a car wreck.

Two more lives wasted. Had my wife been told this beforehand she would have been required to report it. Maybe the outcome would have been different.

If the DA finds out her mom advised her to modify her meds without the consent of a medical doctor, her mom is also in a heap of trouble.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts