Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that are going to put your kids in old cars without airbags might want to not look at these pictures:

Here's the stats OVERALL:
Kid - 18 1/2 going on 12
Status - Single - college student
Driving Ability - Pretty Fair when not driving like an idiot.

Stats at the time of the incident:
Sobriaty - Sober
Time - Morning
Road Conditions - Excellent
Type of Road - County, Paved
Estimated Speed - 90 mph (?)
Hormone level - Near 100%
Driving like an idiot level - Maximum

OK, the best I can tell, my oldest (and should be "deadest" as you will see) nephew was driving his 2001 Dodge Stratus RT down a county road at a high rate of speed. He ramped onto a county bridge and launched his car ala Dukes of Hazzard. According to the police report, the car traveled 75-feet in the air, before bottoming out on the pavement. The car bounced back up into the air and my nephew lost control of the car. He began skidding sideways before impacting a telephone pole with the passenger side of the car. The car, now spinning end over end went into a corn field, making multiple rollovers (at least 6) as it pinwheeled. There are actually several impact points between undamaged corn rows, as the car was pinwheeling high enough in the air several time to clear the corn (it's about 6' tall this time of year).

The car eventually came to rest pretty much right side up. My nephew does not remember anything between realizing he was going to hit the pole, and coming to his senses walking alone and bloody down the county road away from the crash scene. He was able to walk under his own power to the nearest house, where the residents called an ambulance for him.

He spent one day in the hospital for observation and was released with multiple cuts, brusies, and abrasions, but NO internal injuries or broken bones. Obviously since he's alive, he was wearing his seatbelt. The cars airbag did deploy. Here's the pictures. My brother (his dad) say the pictures do not do justice to how bad the car is damaged. He says in real life it looks MUCH WORSE than these pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/wreck1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/wreck2.jpg

Before I get too judgemental about my nephew, I guess I should say "There but for the grace of God go I". I've driven that fast before. I've had all 4 wheels off the ground before. If it ever happens to you, all you can do is hold the wheels straight and start praying. Once you land you're almost certainly going to have to correct a skid. If you overcorrect I hope you have side impact beams, a good seatbelt, an airbag, and full coverage...because you're probably going to need all four.

I hope you teens out there are much more careful than my nephew. If you're driving an old mustang, you won't walk away from a crash like that...absent a miracle.

Phil

p.s. If there are any Dodge safety engineers out there...you all should be pretty damned proud of yourselves. You saved a kid Saturday morning. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Holy Cow! He is lucky to be alive. Hopefully, he has learned one of Lifes lessons and will be more carefull next time. I remember being 18, armor plated and bullet proof, but I never put it to that much of a test. (no, really) lol

·
Administrator
19,546 Posts
My god, that's a miracle he survived, much less walked away from that one! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm glad to hear he's ok physically, mentally was in question before the accident. You're right though, we've all been there or close to it and either walked or drove away and never did it again. I just hope he doesn't hold these pictures as a badge to his luck and skill but rather a testament to his own stupidity.
Live and learn,
D

·
Registered
21,708 Posts
Wow, that's scary! Thanks for posting that Phil, I'm really glad to see your nephew is fine, thank God for that and also to show our younger members for their own safety. I believe it only takes about 40 mph to become airbourne.

I bet or hope that he's glad that he didn't have a passenger too.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Looks like someone needs to buy his nephew a 84 T-bird 4 banger with a governer and a couple extra hundred pounds in the trunk.

Glad to hear he is ok.
I caught air off a country bridge once doing 60 in my truck. Scared the be-jesus outta me and it was only a few inches. Of course there is a little weight differnence between a Dodge Stratus and a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
They don't make cars like they used to - thank goodness. Glad the kid is well and hopefully wiser. It's not that our generation was any wiser when we were young. It's just that the lucky ones have survived.

·
7,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you can see, the telephone pole almost cut the car in half. Anyone on the passenger side would have been killed in a very grisly fashion. Yeah, he's lucky he's OK, and we're all lucky we don't have a closed casket funeral scheduled for later this week for his girlfriend, best buddy, brother, etc.

It makes me physically ill just to think about it. He was the first kid I ever took anywhere in a child seat. When he was just a baby, my brother strapped him into his little plastic safety seat, put him into my Trans Am with me, and had me drive him to my Mom's house. I drove MORE CAREFULLY than I have EVER driven in my life!

That was eighteen years back. Where does the time go?

Phil

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
He is one real lucky kid.... We have to think about how lucky we were when we did stupid things and nothing bad happened to us... Plus we need to be thankful for how much safer our cars have really become.

Daughters and nephew have done stupid things but they were caught. Nephew got a ticket for 120 in a 55 in his mom's Buick recently on I 88.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Amazing that he lived, let alone walked away. When I worked at Wild West Mustang we had bought a 65 coupe that was hit in the rear by a 6 ton truck. The gas tank was between the front seats, and (another amazing story) the driver survived without injury.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Like everyone else, I'm glad your nephew survived the crash with only minor injuries. He's also now an expert on why one should not rely on airbags alone. Long before the second impact, with many more yet to come, his airbag deflated. So it's the seatbelts and crush zones that saved him. I hope he remembers that and makes it a point to mention it to his friends. Who knows, he might end up saving them as a result of his experience.

An acquaintance of mine recently died in a crash two weeks after getting married. Diane waited until she was 32 to get married, in spite of having a face, figure, and personality that would have allowed her any man she wanted. Did I mention she was also financially independent as a result of having earned good promotions and better stock options?

When her Jeep Grand Cherokee crashed, the air bag deployed on the first impact. On the second and final impact she was thrown into the windshield, suffering fatal head injuries. There was absolutely no deformation of the passenger compartment, yet this extraordinary person with everything to live for was gone.

Your nephew should realize how lucky he is; if he doesn't, never let him behind the wheel again.

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
Wow, major bummer. I'm very glad your nephew was able to walk away from that.

That's exactly why I don't think parents should hand keys to fast car to a youngster and say "have fun".

Both my teenagers drive vintage Mustangs that are very fast. Both helped build their respective cars, and drive them differently because of the amount of money and time they have invested. Kids, IMHO, should have to work for and ON their cars in order to appreciate them for the deadly weapons they can be.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad to hear he survived that horrible crash.

I, too, once ramped a car about 30 feet going 60 mph about 3 years ago. I had leaves burnt into the tires because I was pressing the brake prior to landing. Luckily, I was able to land without loosing control.

Needless to say, I will NEVER do anything like that again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts