Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem With my safety switch. Back up lights work perfectly, shifter works good, but it will start in any gear. I’ve replaced the switch and adjusted it like the book said to do it. Is there something inside the transmission that could be stopping it from working?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, with plugs going to switch unhooked it still starts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And all the wiring is new under the dash and under the hood. The red blue wire for the switch is hooked to solenoid correctly. Now I haven’t pulled the dash out lately, but I followed a wiring diagram for each color wire. Backup lights work perfectly.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Ditto for cmefly's comment. I coupled the NS wires at the firewall with a jumper when I converted to the T5z.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Everything I have is stock. Automatic 6 cylinder. 66 year.
Ok, so all of this started after you replaced the wiring behind the dash? Then, when this latest issue developed you suspected the NS switch?

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
543 Posts
As others have said, maybe you bypassed the nss when installing the new wiring.

It would be easy to connect the two 32-red/blue bullet connectors together leaving out the switch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s the same wiring diagram that I have. This was a problem before I rewired the car. But you mentioned hooking the two bullet connectors together, maybe I did. I think the switch was bad when I bought the car. I changed when I rewired. I will check tomorrow on the wires.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I unhooked the plug under the hood, it still started. I went under the dash and there was two wires that have red connectors and two wires that have black connectors. I had red to red and black to black. i switched them, red to black on both and it still started. There is another connector that has a funny shaped plug. It can only hook to the other wire that has the same plug. Look at the picture and you will see black to red and red to black. At the top of the picture is the funny plug. All these wires are the blue red for the NSS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,039 Posts
Did you disconnect the 2 red connectors and the 2 black connectors and see what happens?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did. Same thing, still starts in all gears. The one thing that did change when I hooked black to red, the light under the gear selector quit working.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Disconnect it on the engine side of the firewall. Then get back to us.

BTW, what year is this car?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
FYI, it's a "Automatic 6 cylinder. 66 year".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have already unhooked the plug on the engine side. It still starts in all gears.

·
Premium Member
12,039 Posts
It sounds to me like some PO ran a new wire direct from the ignition switch to the solenoid, bypassing all of the factory NSS wiring. What color is the wire that is connected to the S post on the solenoid?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wiring under the dash and under the hood are all new. The wire on the s post is blue with red stripe. I will check again tomorrow morning on the wires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts