Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing some Magna 4 leaf mid-eye 1" drop leafs on the rear of my 67 fastback and their 620 coil 1" coils up font. While the front of the car is still on jackstands, I put the tires on the rear a everything looks very odd...

The car sure as heck doesn't look any lower. Granted the old springs were worn but still, the bottom of the car looks awfully high off the ground and the wheels look ridiculously small in the wheelwell (235s R14s on 14" centerlines I think).

Does anyone know the original rideheight of the 67 mustangs? I'd expect to be about an 1" below that but from eye-balling the car from the side, it sure doesn't look like it.

I really need some big wheels to fill out the wells!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you wont really see how it sits until you get it off the stands and let the springs compress, either drive it around a bit, or bounce it up and down, by pressing on the fender or whatever, to get them to come under load. just like when you jack the thing up to do a brake job and the wheels get lower as the day goes on. once you drive it you will see the results...

Todd Dietrich
[email protected]
'66 Fastback
Allentown, PA
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Todd is right. You really have to go out and hit the twisties a bit to let it all settle. What is the profile size on those tires?

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have the reverse eye (1 1/2" drop), 4 1/2 leaf springs on my '67 with 225x60 15" tires on the rear. I think my rear, the cars, sits just a tad to low. When I replace the rear tires, I may go to a little taller tire to raise the car slightly.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44747301.JPG

·
Registered
222 Posts
Your car should sit in around 26-27 inches from the garage floor to the centerline of the wheel lip opening. Or as i have noticed from many a stang ,look at the seam where the rocker panel is/ this seam usually makes an imaginary line through the center line of the wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts