Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 A code conv
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a 2" single exhaust Muffler for my "ice cream getter", 66 convertible that's better than the glass pack I inherited from the PO. I don't want anything obnoxious

It's hard to chose when you can't sound test each one. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Any turbo style muffler preferably one with packing like Dynomax Superturbo or Thrush Hush. Or if it has a stock single exhaust maybe just the stock transverse muffler would be a good idea.

·
Registered
36,857 Posts
The truly stock 65-66 single exhaust has a transverse muffler between the axle and fuel tank, and a small muffler-like resonator below the right-rear seat. Has excellent tone.
Composite material Tool Metal Auto part Event

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
+1 to tx65coupe's advice. A turbo muffler with glass packing will produce a mellow, classic sound. I've had great luck with Dynomax SuperTurbos, their 2" muffler is 17730.

·
Premium Member
1967 Sports Sprint Convertible | 289 | C4
38 Posts
I'm in a similar boat looking to replace my single muffler setup and trying to find a good tone, does anyone have any video clips as examples to decide which muffler to go with?

Edit: Found this (289 with single exhaust dynomax turbo muffler) which is exactly what I am after:

·
Registered
21,623 Posts
My go to muffler I’ve used many times is the Summit Racing house brand turbo muffler. They’re well made, in the USA at a very good price.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'm in a similar boat looking to replace my single muffler setup and trying to find a good tone, does anyone have any video clips as examples to decide which muffler to go with?

Edit: Found this (289 with single exhaust dynomax turbo muffler) which is exactly what I am after:
That exhaust does not sound like that. A piece of advice here....cell phone exhaust clips NEVER accurately capture the exhaust sound, the mics are pure garbage...or know this every time you hear someone on speakerphone. I know it for a fact myself because of how different videos I have posted myself sound. This isn't to say that there are not sound clips out there on the internet that are accurate, but those clips are taken with real recording equipment...so the vast majority of sound clips you hear you need to take with a grain of salt and realize that the real thing will almost always be deeper(may or may not be a good thing it makes a huge tone difference)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
That exhaust does not sound like that. A piece of advice here....cell phone exhaust clips NEVER accurately capture the exhaust sound, the mics are pure garbage...or know this every time you hear someone on speakerphone. I know it for a fact myself because of how different videos I have posted myself sound. This isn't to say that there are not sound clips out there on the internet that are accurate, but those clips are taken with real recording equipment...so the vast majority of sound clips you hear you need to take with a grain of salt and realize that the real thing will almost always be deeper(may or may not be a good thing it makes a huge tone difference)
Right, I completely understand that it is not an accurate reproduction as it goes through a phone mic, YouTube compression, and then speakers. That being said, it does not mean that it’s not helpful. The tone would be the most inaccurate but some information can still be deduced about the exhaust and how it would sound in person compared to the existing muffler on the car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I picked up a 2 1/4" HO Turbo dual exhaust kit from NPD and am happy with the sound. Mellow idle but throaty grown when getting on it or down shifting, no annoying drone at speed.. They seem to be close to the Dynomax from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Also keep in mind the sound you hear strongly depends on the cam you are running. Try to attend some car and coffee or other meet-ups. Talk to the owners and ask them what exhaust they are running (exhaust manifold, headers, mufflers, pipe size), what cam and if they mind to fire up the car for you to hear the sound. This gives you the best first hand impression.

·
Registered
66 A code conv
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses, I went with the dynomax super turbo. Based on reviews and literature, seems like a low cost risk to try!!
@crzynik, I'll have it on the car in about 3 days, msg me if you want to hear it or have a chat. I'm putting it on a stock 289 2V 2" system.

fingers crossed, thanks again!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Thank you all for the responses, I went with the dynomax super turbo. Based on reviews and literature, seems like a low cost risk to try!!
@crzynik, I'll have it on the car in about 3 days, msg me if you want to hear it or have a chat. I'm putting it on a stock 289 2V 2" system.

fingers crossed, thanks again!
Thank you, I’ll definitely be in touch!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When measuring sound levels with a phone db meter, the phone microphone will not capture most of the irritating low frequency noise that creates the drone. A $2 phone mic doesn't have the frequency response of a calibrated $800 mic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts