Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just acquired a '66 A-code coupe last week. I think I got lucky as I went over the entire car with a magnet and found only solid steel, especially underneath where it matters most. Car was made in San Jose with LA noted as the DSO. I also think based on some invoices I found in the car it has only 55XXX miles on it. As I said, its a solid car, but needs everything else (Brakes, exhaust, lots of leaks...). And thats ok!

Anyway - glad to be on here and hope to gain some wisdom as I wade into the project.

Best,
ed

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS! Very good buy...I'm partial to the 66s myself !

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to VMF. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here. So what are you planning on as far as your goals for you nice car. I took my time and restored mine, rebuilt the motor upgraded to a 5 speed, front disc brakes, Shelby drop, new suspension, new interior, new paint, export brace, 1" sway bar, and Monte Carlo bar. The car rides great but after the paint , I baby her more than I did before the paint. Now my wife's 65 Vert, I did everything except paint. I don't baby my wife's Vert though. Both are fun to drive, My coupe is a V8 and hauls with the performance mods I did to the engine when I rebuilt it. I will only drive fast and don't spin the tires although I can easily. I think my next one I'm going do all the upgrades and leave the paint as is.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome, all! My goal is to bring this up to a safe "driver" level in the next 12 months (brake upgrade first), then go from there, eventually doing a top quality repaint. It has the 289 4 barrel, so a throaty exhaust is in the plan, too. The engine purrs, so I have that going for me. :)

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Hi!

Just acquired a '66 A-code coupe last week. I think I got lucky as I went over the entire car with a magnet and found only solid steel, especially underneath where it matters most. Car was made in San Jose with LA noted as the DSO. I also think based on some invoices I found in the car it has only 55XXX miles on it. As I said, its a solid car, but needs everything else (Brakes, exhaust, lots of leaks...). And thats ok!

Anyway - glad to be on here and hope to gain some wisdom as I wade into the project.

Best,
ed

View attachment 736036
Hi!

Best,
ed

View attachment 736036
Welcome. Reminds me of the 65 coupe I bought back in high school. Looks like you have a solid plan and you live in an awesome area for taking a Mustang out cruising around. Can't wait to see how this story unfolds.

Reactions: Ed_Negron

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Sounds like me 2 years ago :)
You are on the right track, brakes first! Suspension upgrade is also worth to do while you are working on the brakes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to VMF. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here. So what are you planning on as far as your goals for you nice car. I took my time and restored mine, rebuilt the motor upgraded to a 5 speed, front disc brakes, Shelby drop, new suspension, new interior, new paint, export brace, 1" sway bar, and Monte Carlo bar. The car rides great but after the paint , I baby her more than I did before the paint. Now my wife's 65 Vert, I did everything except paint. I don't baby my wife's Vert though. Both are fun to drive, My coupe is a V8 and hauls with the performance mods I did to the engine when I rebuilt it. I will only drive fast and don't spin the tires although I can easily. I think my next one I'm going do all the upgrades and leave the paint as is.
nice pair, can I ask what you did to the suspension besides the drop?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
nice pair, can I ask what you did to the suspension besides the drop?
On my D Code Coupe I went with Eaton Improved Handling (GT) Springs, front and back and KYG-Gas-A-Just shocks on all four corners. ON my wife's Vert I went with a Grab-A-Track kit with standard eye rear leaf springs, w/ a 1" sway bar.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to VMF!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Welcome to the club from another “local” fan. Look forward to seeing your car at a C&C one day soon.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nice cars to all who posted those 3 red cars. My first was a red 66' 20 years ago that was in deporable shape and I was a poor kid. Had to sell. Only could drive it clacking around the block for a few months, but it was enough to get me hooked. Had a burgundy red 67' that was descent for a year later on in my 20s. 20 years later I'm back at it 68' is a beast. Here's a photo of mine. Same Torque-Thrust wheels as @tom991 Was not a huge fan of them over the vintage wheels, but so many people have rav'ed about them I've come to like them and will be leaving them on. Same with the luggage rack. Didn't like it but now realized it's OE and gives so much unique character to the coupe.

Definitely this thing running and back together in a matter of months (came w/motor and tranny, all accessory out or bad/missing) I couldn't have done without direct help from folks on this board and reading old, old threads. Or would have done it really bass ackwards. Love VMF for this.

68side.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts