Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is dying, and has killed the battery. Can I get advice on how many amps I need? Where to buy? Is this something I can get anywhere, pep boys/autozone, or a mustang catalog thing?
Thanx in advance for the help.
Past help got me here!!!
Gordy '67 vert with 2v 289.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The minimun is 65 amp, but if you have AC, I would upgrade. There are replacement units that put out up to 100 amps, but to make it easy, pull the altenator off, take it to a local rebuilder and in a couple of hours you will have exactly what you need for your application and save a couple of bucks in the process. FYI, make sure you replace the regulator as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Autozone or any similar store can provide a new (rebuilt) alternator and based on the extras added to your engine will be able to recommend the 'best fit'.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Depends on the amount of accessories you're running. My stock 35 amp alternator worked just fine until I upgraded to an electric fan (no A/C). I then upgraded to a PowerMaster 100 amp one-wire alternator.

Of course since then, I tossed the electric fan, so really have a little over-kill in the alternator now *LOL*.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I went through 3 different alternators from O'Reilly's, neither one
would charge. Finally had mine rebuilt at local rebuilder. Had it
built up to 85 amp for a few dollars more. G/L in whatever you
decide to do.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
You can buy a stock rebuilt one anywhere. I've bought more than a few from just about everybody that sells them. NAPA is a little higher but seem to have a better than average rebuild quality.
It is quite possible to occasionally get a new "bad" rebuilt alternator no matter where it comes from. It's annoying, but everybody I've dealt with will happily exchange it under warranty. Normally the rebuilds are just fine.
I recommend you tell the man you have a car with factory AC so he'll give you a 65 amp alternator, or you can just ask for one. I believe this is the biggest you can get without any alterations. Check it at the counter. Most alternators have the amp rating stamped at the front edge of the case. I.E. "100A" or "35A" along with a couple of other numbers. The Ford alternators all appear indentical externally up to 65 amps.Make sure you are actually getting a 65A before you leave the store.
You can get a Ford alternator that is 75 amp or 100amp. They are physically much larger and are for Tauruses, trucks, and Lincolns. They can be adapted to a Mustang, but you'd have to modify your wiring and brackets. Likely more than you want to get into.
Getting a new alternator isn't usually a big deal, but sometimes stuff happens.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i would be concerned about your alt eating your battery - sounds like VR overcharging battery. put voltmeter on battery terminals and note nothing over 14 Vs or so. also take your VR to place you buy new alt (if you do) and have them check them as a unit. Autozone usually does this free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts