Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a new 'Officially Licensed By Ford' AMPs gauge and here is the difference between the new and old:

The Old fitted perfectly, the new one sucks! It is at an angle because the bezel is rubbing against it and bending it, plus the AMP's print is about 1/2" lower.

It says it replaces the ID number on mine but whats the deal?!

What a bad day having nothing but bad luck with this car!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the two next to each other. New one on the right. As you can see the new one sits lower (They both are lined up by the bolts on the back)

When I look at dallas mustang or mustangs unlimited this same part number is the same, but the gauge is completely different.

Might be time to call up the seller

https://www.dallasmustang.com/product.php?productid=7597&print=1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, wait until you take a ride at night, and watch the instrument cluster light that now is bleeding into the AMPS gauge.

See that metal winged thing on the back of the old AMPS? That prevents light bleed. I tried to use it by taking it off the old AMPS, but it seemed to not like to be installed along with the new AMPS gauges, almost a metal to metal short type issue.

I made something from stiff cardboard, the same size, and no light bleed now.

Not impressed with the new AMPS gauge for a 66. Almost like I should have ordered the 65 style, though I dont think it would work, as the 65 I think has a different style wiring hookup:

AMMETER GAUGE GT 1965 | CJ Pony Parts

At least that one LOOKS somewhat like the one I was trying to replace.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What we need to find is somebody who restores/fixes gauges. My AMP gauge is perfectly faded like the rest (new one looks too new lol). I will be going to Dallas Mustang to check out their gauge when it's time to buy one.

If not I will be hunting down a gauge used. Some reproduction's should not even be sold! Looks like its made by a company called Blue Oval, and they have nothing but bad reviews from my research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts