Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the weekend working on the stang. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for a newbie.

I just installed a new Edelbrock 1405 500cfm carb with an automatic choke. The old stock carb was leaking gas all over the manifold and required a rebuild, which was not willing to do presently

With the new carb the car is running well but I now have a distinct popping and backfire when I lift my foot of the throttle and decelerate. This appears to be coming from under the car not the engine bay.

I am wondering if it is the air/fuel mixture? I was told that Edelbrock carbs came preset out of the box so I am hesitant to mess with anything until I know for certain

Opinions would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i had that exact problem with my old edelbrock 600CFM bc it was going bad and NOTHING fixed it until i purchased a new one ( 500cfm ) . check for vacuum leaks, and read the manual carefully on how to tune your carb, edelbrocks are easy as pie, i have only had to fiddle with my new one but a couple of times to dial it in pretty well . i usually just turn the screws in ( clockwise) until i can feel and hear the idle slowing down , and then i will usually back it out about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, and the car always seems to run beautifully. one other thing, if you want the car to run even better, if you havent done so already, advance your timing to around 10 * initial, and if you want, keep going until you have pinging, and if you do run into some pinging back it off about 2 degrees. it helps the car run a bit stronger , especially on the low end. this is just based on my trial and error with tuning my car the past few years since i bought it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Restomod

Thanks for the tips - I think I can handle the carb adjustment. How do I go about adjusting the timing? remember I am new to this stuff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts