Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some new brake lines from Laurel Mountain Mustang and they sent me single exhaust lines. I have Tri Y headers and planning straight pipes to some flow masters. I checked into sending them back for dual exhaust lines and they told me the single lines will work fine for this situation. Is this true or should I send them back and get the dual exhaust lines. What is the difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think the difference is in how the single vs. dual exhaust is layed out under the car. So the bends in the line and the brackets that hold the line may be different. And I know the rear axle will be another area of concern because of the extra exhaust pipe. But the question I would ask them is, if there truly is no difference between the single exhaust set and the dual exhaust set, then why do they sell them?

TK

·
1,210 Posts
Which lines did you get? just the axle lines..the long line from the front to rear? Rear Rubber line? all?

I just went through this conversion from single to a dual/GT setup.

The dual exhaust setup is quite different than the single. The long line from the front to rear is longer and bent to be moved over to a bracket that is installed on the drivers side rear floor pan.

Then the dual exhaust rubber line is different than the single exhaust as it rotates the rear distribution block towards the front of the axle tube via an attached bracket.

Finally, because the rear dist. block is rotate forward the rear lines are longer and bent to accomidate this.

Now that you have all that in your head...here is an observation that I made while doing the swap:

On my dual exhaust setup, I think I could have used the single exhaust rear rubber line and hard lines to the wheel cylinders. With the addition of the new long line from the front, it moved things away from the pipe on the drivers side enough to not cause any more problems.

I chose to buy a new bracket for the dual setup rather than removing the existing braket and re welding it on.

hopefully that helps more than confuses.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
It is "essentially" the same until you reach the rear floor pans. As others have said, the front-rear line bends around behind the rear floorpan to a new bracket location some 6" away from the original. There is a different rubber line to the rear axle tube, different axle vent block, different rear short lines (across the rear).

That said, when I got my car it had the dual exhaust installed (not original) and whoever bent the rear pipe on the drivers side kinked the exhaust pipe around the break line. It obviously was there for a long time without issue but:

When I ran new lines I converted everything over to the dual rear system for safety. Make them take it back and give you the right one. They are NOT the same.

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts