Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been dead around this forum lately but spring is coming!!!! Pulled my motor to do the usual stuff before the new season last weekend and noticed half the cylinders seemed to be running lean and the other half rich. The car has always run extremely well in very spirited driving and autocrossing with the FiTech but always idled like crap and had a slight off idle bog. Intake is a Performer 289 dual plane.

So I've had my eye on the Edelbrock Pro-Flow 4 EFI so I bought one. I needed a bigger intake and a distributor anyway so that's my phony baloney excuse. I like shinny new stuff, is that so wrong?

The motor is out of the car and the intake is coming off anyway so why not up the cam a little. The current cam is from when the car was going to be fetching ice cream with a 290? rear gear and a C4. Comp XE 264 HR COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 35-349-8. Now the car is sporting a T5-z and a 3.40 gear and I was thinking the minimum upgrade would be the Comp XE 274 HR https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-518-8 but I can run up to a 0.60" lift with the springs in my heads.
The car is trailered to events and currently redlines at 6400 rpm but I'm going to drop that down to 6200 this season because I've already busted the budget again. So after Brad posts the almighty B cam thing for the thousandth time what do you think would be a safe cam given the vast rpm ranges in second gear while autocrossing?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
That "B" cam will be nothing but another stop over for you. In my humble (yes, humble) opinion, you should start building the engine you want for your car and use the one you have to do another season...

Quit piecing it and start building just what you want, it will be done for next season. Of course, none of us are getting any younger.

Thanks for reviving the Track forum, I've been noticing its quiet as well.

Allen

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That "B" cam will be nothing but another stop over for you. In my humble (yes, humble) opinion, you should start building the engine you want for your car and use the one you have to do another season...

Quit piecing it and start building just what you want, it will be done for next season. Of course, none of us are getting any younger.

Thanks for reviving the Track forum, I've been noticing its quiet as well.

Allen
Yes, I need to be moving on engine wise. I have been following and pricing out your current build as you went and am anxious to see the results as you are. As you well know it ain't cheap, but if it works out well for you I might use your build as a template. I currently have zero access to a machine shop that can even balance my new flywheel pressure plate setup so it's hard to imagine moving forward on an engine build.

As yes I'm going to blow this mother @#$% 331 into the stratosphere!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I have been following and pricing out your current build as you went and am anxious to see the results as you are. As you well know it ain't cheap, but if it works out well for you I might use your build as a template.
I shouldn't have even looked...:oops::cry:

Allen

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shouldn't have even looked...:oops::cry:

Allen
I bet I could make you feel really good about the money you have in your engine build if I told you the $ I have into the short block on my 331. It adds up quick!

Your engine rotating assembly should have been balanced as a stand alone system. If so, you should be able to bolt your new flywheel and clutch on without reason for concern.
Yes, my rotating assembly has supposedly been balanced 3 times. Or I at least paid to have it balanced 3 times.

@Nailbender I might be interested in that Comp cam if you do end up replacing it. Just what I was looking at for a 347 build going into a 4x4.
I'll let you know after I get a few runs in with the new cam, think I'm going order the XE 274 tonight from Amazon. Should know by early to mid April depending on mother nature.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts