Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not sure if you ordered the cam yet but given your desire to lower the redline I'm not sure that cam is the way to go. My guess is that you will gain rpm potential with the new intake system and that cam with more duration might push that higher. For an autocrosser I wonder if you might lose midrange. On the other hand a higher redline might enable you to stay in 2nd without shifting.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea, the cam is coming today. I always thought I should have used the 274 when I built the motor and now I’ll find out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yea, the cam is coming today. I always thought I should have used the 274 when I built the motor and now I’ll find out.
I totally understand. I refurbished mine with an idea of going small cam and large induction system. Driveability is great and performance is good but after running the numbers through desktop dyno I wish I would have either went with slightly more cam or better heads. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Before you open the box, call Edelbrock and tell them what you have, they have a virtual engine dyno program they can punch in and tell you the optimal cam for how you want to drive the car and teh current parts you have. They will tell you from an Edelbrock product but you can look up the specs and see how close the cam you chose is. Be a good data point. Matching parts is so important to getting an engine right. Mixing and matching is an art form that takes lots of experience, otherwise its really a crapshoot.

I run a Performer RPM system and its great for autocross. Plenty of grunt when you need to pull without a downshift and healthy build to my 6k redline. supposed to be 2500-5500 or 6500 forget which but its perfect for autocross. Wish we were closer, be fun to run together.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Before you open the box, call Edelbrock and tell them what you have, they have a virtual engine dyno program they can punch in and tell you the optimal cam for how you want to drive the car and teh current parts you have. They will tell you from an Edelbrock product but you can look up the specs and see how close the cam you chose is. Be a good data point. Matching parts is so important to getting an engine right. Mixing and matching is an art form that takes lots of experience, otherwise its really a crapshoot.

I run a Performer RPM system and its great for autocross. Plenty of grunt when you need to pull without a downshift and healthy build to my 6k redline. supposed to be 2500-5500 or 6500 forget which but its perfect for autocross. Wish we were closer, be fun to run together.
I wish I had thought about calling Edelbrock on the cam! The 274 is in the motor now and hopefully today if not tomorrow the drivetrain is going back in.

Yea, running with the "pack" would be cool if it could happen!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I wish I had thought about calling Edelbrock on the cam! The 274 is in the motor now and hopefully today if not tomorrow the drivetrain is going back in.

Yea, running with the "pack" would be cool if it could happen!
Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves here, at first glance, I'm not quite sure your car is "pack" material, looks a little too shiney if you know what I mean. However we might be able to arrange an associate membership for a round of drinks, I'd have to talk to @2nd66 and @Huskinhano first...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is you minimum RPM on a run?
the 274 is pretty mild for a car trailered to event....

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just out of curiosity, what is you minimum RPM on a run?
the 274 is pretty mild for a car trailered to event....
I try to stay in second gear for the entire run after launch so I can be as low 1200-1500 rpm in a tight corner in second gear, and as high as 6400 at the end of a straight. Horsepower is not as important in autocross as a wide power band. At least not for me at this point. 120hp Miata's run faster times than most cars out there on any Sunday.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
21 - 30 of 30 Posts