Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The computers at the local Murrays only go back to 1968, which sometimes becomes a problem with my '64 1/2-'66 needs. They have a carb rebuild kit for Autolite 2100s - GP Sorensen namebrand, a part of Standard Motor Products, part # 96-215. When I asked them to look up a 4V carb kit, a bunch of Holley referenced numbers appeared. If I need a 2V kit, I just tell them the 96-215 number and they run back to grab it off the shelf. I'd like to be able to do that with the 4V, too. One number on their computer looks as if it might be correct but it's not a store-stocked item, so I can't check it out. Does anyone have a part number for a new Autolite 4100 rebuild kit? A GP Sorensen or Standard Motor Products would be best, since this is what the parts house stocks, but any #s would help.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The kit is still available through NAPA stores,but I can't recall the part number.The floats,however,can be a problem.NAPA's listing insists that the front and rear floats are the same and they will give you two floats with the same part number,the brass type.I rebuilt a 4100 for a customer a few months ago and after an unsuccessful search for the composition type floats,I unsoldered and resoldered the the float arm to create the secondary float.I'd like to hear from anyone out there who has found a source for the correct composition type floats.Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Napa's number for the kit is 2-5401, this kit covers all of there 1958 to 1968 4100 listings, only the 57 carb kit being different. And the 68 is correct, the last appearance of the 4100 was in 1968, used on 429 police interceptor engines, you may be able to have them look up these carbs to get you there kit number if they can't cross it. Carbs in 68 were numbered C7AF-AM, C8AF-AE and C8AF-BG.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Bob Mannels book on the Small Block Ford states that until mid 1966 the brass floats were used, then Ford switched to the nitrophyl black plastic floats - they were designed symmetrically so that they could be used in either bowl of the 4100 (quoting Bob there page 6-17 of his book also has some good pictures).My Napa book for carbs prior to 1966 list two separate brass floats-part number 2-478 for primary and part number 2-479 for secondary. For post 66 carbs they list just the 2-479 two being required, which doesn't quite seem right since it is also the same one they list for earlier secondary only - unless it is of the symmetrical design, only brass instead of plastic??.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts