Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase new carpet. Just looking at the CJ catalog and I find 3 or 4 different ones. Prices range from 200 to 400. Does anyone have a preference? Do I need to put a sound deadening material down too? Or does the carpet come with it?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I bought new carpet for my '69 Mach 1 several years ago, ended up buying two different brands and ended up sending both of them back. One of the sets the carpet itself was not dense enough, anywhere where it curved to fit the floor you could see the backing through it, the other set the inset floor mats were way too shiny and plastic looking, nothing like the original carpet I had in the car. I ended up spending a lot of time cleaning up my old carpet to reuse it, still in the car today. Good luck and I will be following to see if there are any better options these days.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
about 5 yrs ago did mine from NPD OEM set.

didnt have any issues fit and color was fine

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I bought the mass backed version, think it was made by ACC. Got it from NPD. Very happy with the fit, and look although the loop is not concourse correct and it is darker looking than rage original stuff (black with red inserts). The backing also helps with sound deadening.
I originally bought a set from Mustang market, it had the correct pile and lighter black color, but the fit was crap. the two halves were nowhere near close.

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
The best you can possibly get would be ACC "Raylon" loop carpet (the Raylon far-better simulates the original twisted-loop tufting of the factory carpet than the cheaper Nylon loop) with the "Mass-Backed" option. The mass-backed option ads a thick/heavy layer of Ethylene vinyl acetate, which enhances moldability of the carpet (it comes out of mold nicer), and adds a layer of sound deadening and insulation. Mass-backed carpets simply fit and lay-down better once installed.

Additional sound-deadening is your prerogative, but not necessary.

We carry these carpets in-stock.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
I installed the "mass backed" carpet from NPD in my 1970 Mach 1. Highly recommend this option. It fit very nicely and looks quite spiffy. Basically, your options are mass-backed carpet or non-mass-backed carpet. ACC is the only manufacturer of carpet for your Mustang as far as I know. Be sure you order the carpet specific to the '69 Mach 1. It's unique to that car.

As for sound deadening, it's completely up to you. As a data point, I covered my entire floor pan area with Noico sound deadener. I also put down a layer of thermal coating which really helps to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment. This worked really well and I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As Rick indicated, the best available kits can be a challenge at several levels, I would add that durability is one of those levels. Depending on the quality level you are striving to achieve, it may make sense to talk to a local auto trim shop about making you a custom carpet set out of better quality carpet material.

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
I've found the durability of the Raylon thread to be quite good, and since a local trim shop would not have access to the correct Mach 1 inserts (unless ACC sells them individually??)...

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I think I have IDed 3 makers of molded carpets across the vendors. Seeing them used in many different car makes/models with good reviews its nice to see that ACC is generally on the low side of prices.
I believe you are actually only seeing 2 options with 2 versions of each, assuming they are selling the 1 maker. 2 versions of the thread on the face then mass backed or not from ACC.

The ACC without the mass backing does have the 1/2 jute padding but it covers only the foot well areas. I am using the thick tar paper like underlayment which i have found is not as thick as the OE stuff so I add Noico over gaps and other select areas.. There is also an underlayment you can buy that has a jute top layer. It seems to me its easy to overdo this area and get diminishing returns when there are so many other noises that reach you other than the floors.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
... and adds a layer of sound deadening and insulation. Mass-backed carpets simply fit and lay-down better once installed.
Additional sound-deadening is your prerogative, but not necessary.
We carry these carpets in-stock.
Rick
NPD
Are you suggesting that if someone uses the mass backed that they wouldn't need to use an underlayment?
Only going from pictures it appears that the mass backing doesn't actually add much mass, more of a thick film. I can see where it could add to molding and laying in the corners and curves better and I suspect additional heat and sound benefits to be only slightly incremental with that amount gained by another method.
One area I see it will benefit is in some of the deeply molded corners of the carpet the backing of the regular stuff gets stretched, I have a new set still rolled in the box and can stretch it in some areas and see light through it. I assume as its pressed into the mold, it can be a lot thinner than the flat parts. You feel like you could rip those areas by hand if you really tried. Not a big deal to me because of its orientation but if it were on an outside corner and get wear or if you stress it wrong I bet it would fail quickly in those areas.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the mass back is kinda rubbery? For lack of a better word, so in itself is helpful with noise control. When I did mine, I used an insulator (I’ll leave the name out that’s a whole other personal preference) the factory tar type stuff and the mass backed carpet. It’s very quiet compared to How it was with the factory carpet and original tar stuff.

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
Are you suggesting that if someone uses the mass backed that they wouldn't need to use an underlayment?
The subject of sound deadening, and how much, what product, weight, moisture-trap, etc.etc.., is a subject that has a million different opinions and suggestions. So I do not make suggestions. ;)

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
I think I have IDed 3 makers of molded carpets across the vendors.
Long ago, it was Birmingham Auto Supply, Ohio Auto Mat and ACC... Ohio Auto Mat was eventually purchased by Trim Parts (well known in GM circles).

But over the years, eventually, ALL of them have been bought-up and "absorbed" by ACC, to the best of my knowledge.

I am unaware of any current alternative to ACC for a molded carpet. My best advice with ACC carpets is, regardless of year, stick with the Raylon lool, and avoid the cheaper nylon. For those who are adamant "100% nylon is what was original for 1968-newer", don't allow that fact to affect your purchase. The reality is that Raylon IS IN FACT a 100% nylon product. They just named it "Raylon" for marketing purposes, because it resembles the old 80/20 blend so well. But it's really a nylon product, just a far superior thread that is tufted in a manner that also better resembles period-correct 60's-70's loop carpet.

The cheap nylon carpets are the infamous "corn-row" carpets, and the loops have no twist to them (as they should), and the stayfastness of the dye is not as good (fades faster).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts