Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be installing new carpet and a trunk kit soon and I wanted to know if I should take the opportunity to put any kind of rust sealant (POR-15 or something else?) down while I have access to the floors. What are everyone's thoughts? I did get mass backing on the carpet and I believe that I have sound deadening I will be installing too. I'm not so worried about the sound/heat issue as making sure that I protect the metal while I have easy access.

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Depends on the condition. If the factory paint looks great then dont do anything. If there are rusty spots then sand it down and apply rust preventative and a top coat to that. I wouldn’t go overboard coating everything if there isn’t a reason to though. May as well do sound deadener while you have it all out. Doesn’t take that long to apply.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
1,218 Posts
Definitely get the mass back carpet and underlayment. Its easier to install and fits nicer, and does offer some degree of insulation. As for sealant, I agree with Milligan, you don't really need it unless you have existing rust or exposed metal. Some people use sound deadener, but its gets expensive and quite honestly I think its overkill unless you are really concerned about noise and heat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Definitely get the mass back carpet and underlayment. Its easier to install and fits nicer, and does offer some degree of insulation. As for sealant, I agree with Milligan, you don't really need it unless you have existing rust or exposed metal. Some people use sound deadener, but its gets expensive and quite honestly I think its overkill unless you are really concerned about noise and heat.
My sound deadener is just that Peel and Seal type of stuff. I think I got enough to do two layers on the roof and a layer on the floor for around $40 or so. Dynamat would have cost $200+. I used the “real” stuff only once and I found that sure it worked a bit better but was totally not worth the price difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have underlayment but I wasn't sure which pieces. I got it a while ago then had to put things on hold to prioritize family. I was able to find the packing slip and I should have all the pieces for both floors. I'll see how much I need to coat the floor once I get the old carpet up.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe 302 T5
132 Posts
I found Fatmat on ebay and that has worked really well so far. I wanted something without logos if possible. The huge roll has been nice to use with no fear of running out.

Reactions: Milligan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts