Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm not much of a Stereo guy and really have no Idea what I am doing...but I bought a new CD player today and I tried to install it as follows.
1. I hooked up the Continuous power for the clock by plugging it into one of the interior light plugs I think it was the plug for a console.

2. I hooked up the accy power to the yellow radio wire

3. Grounded the ground wire to dash

I only have one speaker plugged in and I don't know if it works, and I also don't have an antenna plugged in, my problem is that the thing doesn't even show the time or show any lights, essentialy it isn't working at all....
I checked that there was voltage running from my hot wires and used a voltage meter and grounded them to the end of my ground wire so I am assuming that it is grounded well, does there have to be two speakers plugged in or the antenna to work? any help would be appreciated

thanks
Jason

·
Registered
759 Posts
Open your door and the CD player will work /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also connect the antenna. On some players the antenna also acts as a ground and the player will not be fully functional if it is not plugged in.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, that makes sense but I thought that the continous was only for the time but nothing lights up with the door open either... is the cig lighter a continous?

I had two am radio's one from a 68 and one from a 69 neither one of them worked either, but it seemed as though I was still geting some Voltage from the old radio plug, I was using the yellow wire with the stipe on it is that the right one?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yes the cigarette lighter is continious. When i first installed a stereo on my mustang i tapped into the door light, thought i was all done, went to drive away and closed the door and the radio went off.

It doesn't sound like you own a multi meter. You really need to buy one. Radio shack probably still sells the $10.00 one. Then you can just touch the posative to the wire, the negative to ground (any metal on the car) and see if its hot. If its not hot you can flip it over to resistance and if you touch the wire and metal and the needle moves then the wire is a gound wire.

When i first installed the stereo if i recall the radio wire had a posative and a negative wire. then for the continious wire i just bared about a half inch of wire and pulled a fuse from the fuse block, half wrapped the wire behind the fuse and shoved the fuse back into the fuse block. Just be sure that the fuse you choose is always hot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I actually do have a multimeter, er well my dad does anyway, I just don't know how to use it properly I have it set on DC V 10 and the hot to ground connections go almost to the end of the meter.... It's now set up with the cig lighter and when I take the faceplate off the CD player the security light flashes on it, but I can't get anything to light up on the faceplate, there is a power button on it but it doesn't do anything...
=(

If the speakers don't work will it not turn on as a security feature? I know my dad gets mad when I turn off the inside speakers on his stereo and then turn on the outside speakers he makes me turn on the outside speakers so that both sets are on and then turn off the inside ones cause he says it will wreck it if there aren't any speakers on?

sorry for the big long post(s)... I just wanted this to work

thanks again everyone
Jason

G

·
0 Posts
I thought I was going crazy trying to get my stereo to work until I plugged in the antenna. That solved all my problems. If you haven't tried that already give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
just skimmed through this thread, so i dont know if someone mentioned this or not.
there should be a red wire and a yellow wire. the red wire goes to the key switch (it turns the sterio off when you turn off the car) and the yellow wire goes to a continus power, to keep the presets. the sterio will not turn on if only one of them has power. if you are just tryng to make it work, twist them together and hook them bolth to a 12v source.
also, with my jvc sterio, one of the speekers has to be hooked up for it to turn on (LF i think, not positive though. read the instructions) antena may have to be pluged in too... depends on the recever.
good luck,

- Jason

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Forget a multimeter for now. Go to a local autozone and pick up a device that looks like a screwdriver with a light bulb inside of it. It will have a wire with a clip coming out of the top of it. You'll clip that wire to some bare metal for a ground then you just stick the screwdriver end on wires looking for power. When you find it the blub lights up. Simple as pie. As for suggestions about color of wires forget that. Different stereos use different colors of wire. You'll just have to look at your manual to figure out what goes where. If you don't have have a manual then you can probably obtain one online from the maker of your stereo. The simplest thing to do is to run your power wire to the + side of the battery. If you're more handy you can find a spot on the fuse box or splice into another wire...which I don't recommend. Also, make sure the black wire you grounded is on bare metal. You may not have a proper ground. That said, sometimes car stereos don't have a wire for grounding. Sometimes they simply ground when the outer casing comes into contact with metal or some may use the antenna. Of course it all depends on model. Keep trying and you'll figure it out sooner or later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts